You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Accurately Finding Neutral Gray

Hi, I would like Photo to allow me to implement the method given in https://dmacphoto.wordpress.com/finding-neutral-grey/ (among other places) for accurately finding neutral gray pixels.  I don’t think it can be done now (v1.5).  It requires: (1) a method of creating a pixel marker within a threshold adjustment layer that will remain selected/marked after the threshold adjustment layer is deleted; and (2) a method of setting the gray point in a curve adjustment layer using a mid-tone eyedropper (which I guess is sometimes called a pipette?) with the same pixel marker that was selected in #1, above.  This method is very reliable - much more reliable than guessing about a neutral gray pixel in the white balance tool.  TTBOMK, neither the persistent marker nor the gray point pipette exist now.  Thanks.

Actually you can: once you set up the gray and the threshold layer, open the info palette, and drop the target icon on the black spot. In this way you keep track of the values under that pin.

Then, (and here is the cumbersome part, since we don't have a way to enter values directly nor we have a way of storing control points on every channel of the curve adjustment in one single click, which is VERY limiting), select each channel, grab the picker tool and drag until it reaches the value of 128 (you have to check it in the info palette).

Of course, in PS you do it in just one click.

Oh, thanks - this is very helpful!  However, could we please convert my original request to, "adding a way to enter values directly” [within a curve adjustment] and "a way of storing control points on every channel of the curve adjustment in one single click?”  These capabilities are very useful for another workflow I use frequently.  (Or are they already being considered?)  

"Levels" and "Curves" miss Black, Gray and White eyedroppers.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)