You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Serif Team,
It was always written the Affinity Photo the possibility to take over the plug-ins of Photoshop, I wonder just what should be. With the NIK filters, there is no way to save the results to a new level, Viveza has an unpleasant tint, and NIK HDR lacks the Tone Mapping option. However, DXO Filmpack 3 and DXO ViewPoint have also been recognized as a plug-in, but they do not function as a plug-in, but rather for the quick shutdown of the program. I do not know if this is programmed in AP so. To use these plug-ins and others, I have to edit pictures with CS6. I think here one should still work, since many a plug-in the work environment to the advantage of AP can still expand.
LG Dieter

• Staff

Hi DidiS,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Photoshop plugins support is still being worked/developed. Some plug-ins are already working fine, while other still have a few issues or crash the program. There's an unofficial list of supported plugins available here.

We are working to improve this as we move forward.

A number of years ago I downloaded many .8bf plugin filters that were available from the internet and were meant for PS or other programs that supported this file extension. At that time and even today I have available to use, MS DIP 2006 which was discontinued long ago. I not that you say some plugin work fine but others may crash the program. Being a chicken, I don't want to crash the program and I don't see in the list for Windows any mention of .8bf files so thought it best to ask if 

1. do they work with AP

2. If they do, what is the procedure for adding them to the plugin menu? Do they have to be added individually or can a folder be added or can the folder of the plugins simply be pointed to and then they are available to access. With DIP all the options were available.

Any info would be appreciated.

TIA

HI Keith -- yes I have visited that site for Windows but as mentioned, my files are .8bf files and nothing is mentioned there about using them in AP so not sure if they don't work or it was just that they are not mentioned. I don't recall from where the .8bf files came from as I have had then for years and accumulated them by going to sites and checking out what they did and then deciding whether I wanted to make use of a particular file and then accumulated under one folder (Filters) those that I liked and then put them into the DIP program and have been successful when using them. I just don't like to "try" something without having knowledge of the effect of doing so and thus thought it prudent to see if other users have had any experience with .8bf plug-in filters in the AP software and if so, how best to put the files and by what process to accomplish this task.

If you have that info, please let me know as there are a number that over time I like to use.

TIA

• Staff

@ mur_phy

.8bf is the extension for Photoshop plugins files on Windows, so yes Affinity Photo is able to use them however this doesn't mean the plugin itself will work. That's depends on a lot of factors like the features it relies on to work, if it uses any kind of automation etc etc. There's no feature parity between Photoshop and Affinity Photo so some plugins may have limited functionality or not start at all. Currently the only thing you can do is to try them with Affinity and see what happens. If you find trouble let us know about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello; an observation, when I first installed AP 1.5.0.45, Filtermeister plugins worked but the preview was not color managed, and there were some other small issues with the UI.  I updated AP to version 1.5.1.54 and all of a sudden the same plugins I had tried before have grayed-out checkerboard previews, as if transparent.  (It happens with the background pixel layer, a duplicated pixel layer, all of them.)  The filters work per se, you just can't see what you are doing.  I uninstalled AP and reinstalled the old version, but the new problem is still there, images grayed out.  Something got worse somehow; was hoping it would get better . . . .

Something got worse somehow; was hoping it would get better . . . .

And I'm sure that the developers will appreciate your report.

Bear in mind that there are far more plugins out there than there are hours in the day for Serif to test them all: it's a given really, that they will concentrate most of their resources on the most popular commercial offerings like the Topaz filters and the Nik Collection.

Keith Reeder

• Staff

Hi Russel,

You may try to reset the application (press ⌃(ctrl) while launching the app then select Clear from the dialog that will appear) but i can't guarantee this will solve the issue. You may want to export custom brushes, styles and other customisations/addons you have made to the program before performing the reset. We are still working/improving Photoshop plugins support. There should be more changes in the upcoming versions and hopefully a few more plugins will start working correctly.

the unofficial list of supported plugins for windows lists  DxO Labs Viewponts 2.0 albeit  with support unknown.  Recently DxO Labs released Viewpoint 3.0 . Unfortunately Affinity Photo  1.5.1.54 crashes when the plugin is loaded.

• 2 weeks later...
Photoshop plugins support is still being worked/developed. Some plug-ins are already working fine, while other still have a few issues or crash the program. There's an unofficial list of supported plugins available here.

We are working to improve this as we move forward.

I looked at the plugin list, and Topaz ReMask 5 is listed as un-supported.  Is there hope that it will be supported in the near future, or do I need to come up with a work-around workflow.

Is a photoshop add-on the same as a plugin?

I'd like to try this https://creative.adobe.com/addons/products/5802#.VM4_0C46gsM

I can do it manually with help from this website but the actual add-on would be nice in AP

https://dgrin.com/discussion/18308/photoshop-lab-color-ch-1

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD