You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Units are not remembered?

If you quite Designer immediately after closing a document that was made in centimeters, the next time Designer is opened, new documents will be in centimeters.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Well I don't know about Designer but this does not work for Photo.. every time I restart it resets back to pixels.

If you are talking about creating new documents after starting Photo, it should retain the last used setting in the New Document dialog. If you mean opening an existing document, it should retain whatever units you set for that document.

This is how it works for me (in both Designer & Photo).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Same experience here with Affinity Photo. That is a bit frustrating.

Let's take my scanning routine for my example. I scan an image in 600DPI and open it in Affinity Photo for corrections and resize. It doesn't matter if I change the document into centimeters, change DPI and size and then export it to a Tiff. The next time when I open the image it's back to pixels and also back to the initial DPI (while the pixel dimensions remain). 

1. Initial scanned image opened in AP:

5100 x 7019 px

Pixel

600 DPI

2. Change document settings into:

21,59 x 29,71 cm

Centimeters

300 DPI

3. Export the file to Tiff

4. Open the Tiff file and check document settings in AP or Photoshop:

2550 x 3510 px

Pixel

600 DPI

That's very frustrating and not very functional as it's not possible to export an image with the dimensions that I would like to define. That make a workflow a bit difficult if I send out files to clients, printers or colleagues. The resolution remain, you don't loose quality, I know, but the output size is simply different than it supposed to be. Let's say an image is printed on a T-Shirt then the size of the print would be wrong. 

Anything that I'm doing wrong? If not, I would hope that this is going to be fixed or updated.

The basic problem is if you allow the "embed metadata" option (in Export > More) to be enabled, the export is saved with the original DPI setting, not (as it should be) with the one you changed it to after opening the file.

So you can either disable that option, which strips all metadata out of the export, or use some other app to change the DPI EXIF value. Neither is an ideal workaround.  :mellow:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R, thank you for your input!

Disabling the "embed metadata" option worked half-way. The unit turned back from Centimeters to Pixels, but at least my modified DPI is used in the document now. 

Anyhow, I hope these little things are going to be optimized in the following updates for a smoother workflow experience.