You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

text with reflective surface effect. help please

Hi

could someone please help me understand how to create a reflective effect, I have tried with gradients and transparency overlays but just can't seem to get it.

the shield attached is from an illustrator tutorial but this is what i am trying to achieve.

any help greatly appreciated, I am a newbie to AD but really love the app.

look forward to hearing from you

Cheers

Kevin

post-3074-0-28625900-1417718624_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hello kevsupermoto,

Welcome to Affinity Forums,

I don't have much time to post a detailed tutorial on how to achieve the effect you are after, but looking at the affinity file attached below you can see how i have constructed the object. 

There's a layer called object order (with all containing objects hidden) that shows how the object is built. Turn the visibility of each object on, from bottom to top, to see how it's constructed. Each object is a simple shape with a gradient applied placed one after another.

There's another layer called reflective effect showing how to build just the reflective part. It's composed by two objects - the bottom one has a three stop gradient applied and the reflection on top is a white shape with linear transparency.

The shield is a modified version of one taken from here.

If you still have trouble, just go ahead and post any questions you may have.

Hope this helps.

post-59-0-72029100-1417802958_thumb.png

reflective_text.afdesign

got it, thanks. it was the linear transparency part i was struggling with.

can i ask how you managed the offsets on the 3-4 paths of the shield. did you use the expand stroke function? I am struggling a bit with that as it seems to create a lot of elements that i don't need. I know its possible to select and remove parts but the expand stroke creates so many nodes its very long winded process and not at all intuitive.

• Staff

I've used two copies of the original shape with strokes with different widths (i've subtracted the middle stroke from the larger one) and then Layer -> Geometry -> Divide to help generate the shapes that compose the offsets of the shield

Both the Geometry -> Divide and Expand Stroke options generate superfluous nodes at the moment. We are aware of this and it's something that should be improved later.