You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So all they could probably only do (meaning the AP software here) is to offer an additional settable switch (yes/no) for forcing to apply auto lens correction also for JPGs, if the user explicitely demands this via some preferences or panel setting. So the choice would be at the user's side here and that he already knows what he is doing when enabling that option.

Yes, it would be great to be able to force to apply the lens correction. In my case i have to take the photos in RAW mode and i have to develope them manually. This is a lot of work, because after a flight i have hundrets of photos. And i also have to correct the lightning settings, make color adjustments, ...

So all they could probably only do (meaning the AP software here) is to offer an additional settable switch (yes/no) for forcing to apply auto lens correction also for JPGs, if the user explicitely demands this via some preferences or panel setting. So the choice would be at the user's side here and that he already knows what he is doing when enabling that option.

Yes, it would be great to be able to force to apply the lens correction. In my case i have to take the photos in RAW mode and i have to develope them manually. This is a lot of work, because after a flight i have hundrets of photos. And i also have to correct the lightning settings, make color adjustments, ...

Ok, now i have an answer:

So, i have to do the corrections manually, or i have to take the pictures in the raw mode. :(

Hey Thomas, that's standard procedure with all the software I know. RAW always needs development and leaves much more room for improvement then jpeg. A jpeg basically is fixed regarding exposure etc. whereas in a RAW there's much more detailed information about every pixel which makes it possible to correct a lot.

So everything regarding AF works fine on your side as you are using a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ for your captures which is included in the Lensfun library.

Does anyone know where I can get in contact with the AF Team on howto integrate newer lens profiles?

First, you should add yourself the desired lens to the database, by uploading images to the lensfun team. Instructions can be found here:

http://wilson.bronger.org/calibration

Then they will do the job for you. After the guys from lensfun have added your lens to the database, you have to wait for the AP-team, to update to the new lensfun databases. 

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that the RAW developer uses a library that's far from exhaustive is a blocking point for me and will prevent me from migrating to AP.

My D810 is on the list, but my Fuji X-Pro 2 is not, even though it's by no means a very recent model.

As regards lenses, I see some of my Nikkor lenses on the list, but not all of them (the 24/1.4 and the 35/1.4 are missing, most notably (!), and not all characteristics are corrected (for example, vignetting is not corrected on the 85/1.4 nor on the 300/4). My two Zeiss lenses (the 15mm and the 135mm) are not on the list, and neither is my Voigtländer 58/1.4.

That is a major problem.

See here the mil-fujifilm.xml file (Fuji X-Pro 2 entry) in the more actual lensfun database on GitHub. Probably a future updated AP version might then take over also the newer library versions of that.

Though I think there always will be some specific lense calibration data missing or still have to be added to future versions of that opensource lensfun db lib too, since some cam vendors like Nikon or Canon etc. have so many different lenses, that it's difficult for third parties to keep up in sync with all those!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

See here the mil-fujifilm.xml file (Fuji X-Pro 2 entry) in the more actual lensfun database on GitHub. Probably a future updated AP version might then take over also the newer library versions of that.

Thank you for your message and for this information.

Though I think there always will be some specific lense calibration data missing or still have to be added to future versions of that opensource lensfun db lib too, since some cam vendors like Nikon or Canon etc. have so many different lenses, that it's difficult for third parties to keep up in sync with all those!

I'm not so sure about that. Adobe does not seem to have a problem with that, their camera body list is updated fairly quickly and their lens list does include every lens I use and have ever used, and seems to get updated quickly enough as well.

Regretfully, I think I will have to pass for the moment. Too bad, as I have just downloaded the test version of AP, but there is no point installing it if I have to manually correct all or most of my RAWs.

Maybe AP is more targeted towards amateur photographers who don't shoot RAW, or maybe the emphasis is more on amateur lenses... One way or the other, there must be a reason for the publisher to have chosen to team up with such an incomplete hardware correction list. Poor choice, in my opinion.

To give just one example, Nikon's new 19mm tilt-shift (which I have just bought, not yet received) is already on Adobe's list.

Well, Adobe is a big company with much more employees than Serif. Further Adobe uses it's own lens format and other standards here and so it has a quite different collaboration with the photo industry (cam vendors, lens makers etc.) for applying these things to their software tools. - Affinity just reuses an opensource lens library here, they don't calibrate lenses and apply those definitions themselves, so they are dependent on the state the lensfun db maintainers do offer and have here.

Being a Nikonian myself, I mostly use Nikons own RAW converters here (preferable CNX2, since that was once build with a lot of NIK software image knowledge for Nikon). So it's no surprise Nikon usually knows and can handle their own equipment (cams/lenses etc.) and all the secret maker related internals best. - Beside that (meaning Nikons own software here) the only other two tools I know, which are always mostly quite uptodate here, are Adobe LR and CaptureOne.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 4 years later...