You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

afphoto file thumbnails in explorer window.

Apologies if this topic has been raised before, but could a thumbnail be created to show in explorer windows, to give a clue as to the content of the file without having to open it fully? At present all my afphoto format files just display as the Affinity logo. I'm using Affinity Photo 1.5.1.54 on a Windows 7 Ultimate machine with 18Gb of Ram.

Yes, this is an oft-repeated topic!!

However, you should be able to achieve what you want if you choose in the folder window, View>Large icons (or Extra-large icons) or even Medium-sized icons.  I've checked this on Windows 10; I'm pretty certain it is the same on Windows 7.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• 1 month later...

I have been unable to display .AFPHOTO thumbnails on a WIndows 10 x64 system regardless of icon size setting in Windows Explorer.  Affinity needs to provide a CODEC for their file format; Windows does not natively support this (or PSD files for that matter).

I have been unable to display .AFPHOTO thumbnails on a WIndows 10 x64 system regardless of icon size setting in Windows Explorer.  Affinity needs to provide a CODEC for their file format; Windows does not natively support this (or PSD files for that matter).

Photo DOES provide a thumbnail for Windows (I'm also on 10) and I can see thumbnails of ALL my AFPhoto images without problem.   So I'm not sure why you don't see them, especially when you imply you have tried different icon sizes.  Perhaps try refreshing (F5) the folder where the pictures are stored?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

After closing Affinity Photo and refreshing the Desktop/Folder, I can see the thumbnail.

Best regards!

post-41989-0-33241200-1489952058_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

It looks like a recent Windows update related to Office 365 has broken the thumbnail display of Serif files (Photo, designer, but also Draw Plus). It took me some time to figure it out, but Explorer now display a little sync status symbol with each file that is synchronised with OneDrive. And since then, Thumbnails for Affinity files have disappeared.

The attached pictures show how the file is displayed (large icon setting) in a OneDrive-synchronised folder and in a local folder.

This update does not affect standard file formats such as JPEG, PNG, PDF with preview etc.

The orange dot on the local file is the Carbonite online backup sync status. You will notice that this one is also gone with the O365 update...

It would be nice if you could fix this feature in a future update...

Kind regards,

Jean Gerrekens

OneDrive.PNG

LocalOnly.PNG

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

G'day; Thanks for the link Jean . I have/had the same drama as the Op even though I never used/activated onedrive 
Surely Affinity could use the thumbnail instead of the logo  (??) 
These newer (non-adobe) programs certainly add to the confusion and frustrations with all their little differences to do the same or similar jobs

• 2 years later...

I am still having this issue on my Windows 10 machine. I use one drive files on demand so I can work between my desktop and laptop, so disabling that is not an option. I don't know if this is an Affinity issue or a windows issue but it is making things very difficult. It also is making me consider exporting my AF files as .PSD rather than saving them as .af, because those all display fine. And for the record I have changed the icon size and refreshed. I can see the thumbnail or preview for the Affinity files that are natively stored on my machine or the ones that are on demand. I am a big fan of the product line and I have convinced others to buy it, but it is worrying when major issues like this and the dxf dwg issue go unaddressed for years on end.

af icons.jpg

• 1 month later...

I tried disabling files on demands, but this would not be a viable solution anyway as need this feature. This did indeed show the thumbnails and previews for affinity files but bizarrely it got rid of all the thumbnails and previews then for all my adobe files, and even more bizarrely it doesn't show the adobe icon for them but the affinity icon?!

Anyone found a solution yet??