You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer, windows: is there a rectangular transparency coming?

It's been about 16 months since I originally posted this question.  I just tried SEVERAL times to duplicate my success in creating a rectangular transparency and I was totally UNSUCCESSFUL!  I think it's about time for Serif to wake up and do it right, like they did with DrawPlus!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hello - is anyone paying attention out there?  SERIF?

I’d be very interested to know where it fails now, given that it worked 16 months ago!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Harster13 said:

It's been about 16 months since I originally posted this question.  I just tried SEVERAL times to duplicate my success in creating a rectangular transparency and I was totally UNSUCCESSFUL!  I think it's about time for Serif to wake up and do it right, like they did with DrawPlus!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hello - is anyone paying attention out there?  SERIF?

If you cant remember the steps to do this every time you need to, see if the attached Macro does what you want.

The last 2 steps are deliberately unticked but left there to remind you what to do next (should you need to)

transparency.afmacro

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

46 minutes ago, carl123 said:

If you cant remember the steps to do this every time you need to, see if the attached Macro does what you want.

Thanks for that, Carl, but unfortunately your macro is only of use to those of us who have Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, Harster13 said:

If this the sort of effect you are trying to achieve, this is how I would do it ?  All done in Designer Windows.

This has been explained before in this thread, but I like pictures :)

work5.jpg.45ebabf6020c4e31e026ccd2638b453a.jpg

Take a picture (or download one)

work1.jpg.95f07d4692040bf0d6f75dc3ff046d37.jpg

Draw a rectangle on top

work2.jpg.9c507fab224d466a7f7caa07df98d81e.jpg

Right click on the Rectangle layer and choose, Mask to Below

work3.jpg.337d8342ac9f2291705b65775bf3ecf3.jpg

Note, make sure the document has a Transparent background.

trans.jpg.6bcb821988019178859796603e9939a3.jpg

Apply a Gaussian blur Effect to the rectangle layer only, not the image. Make sure just the rectangle layer is selected

rect.jpg.9ad9ce73dc7e28cb8e201eb1e5fceb67.jpg

work4.jpg.20e292de808794d0c111e5f3dc28a3e6.jpg

You can adjust the blur radius or the size of the rectangle to get the effect you want. Here placed on a black background.

work5.jpg.45ebabf6020c4e31e026ccd2638b453a.jpg

You can use any shape or, as I did below, apply rounded edges to the rectangle.

radius.jpg.13ff03bb724fb6fe89b025019d9fd2c7.jpg

work6.jpg.be65095f2c0499715fbdb422541152ce.jpg

This method is incredibly flexible. If you turn the rectangle into curves, you can use the node tool to mould the shape.

See my subtle ;) recurving of the bottom edge.

mould.jpg.87d69792c04997c352206eb1f6b97b2c.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

"Alfred: Thanks for that, Carl, but unfortunately your macro is only of use to those of us who have Affinity Photo."

Just trying to increase sales of AP, Alfred.

My commission/bonus was a bit low last month.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes! in fact, I'm on the hunt for a commercial vector design program and tried DrawPlus first and it crashed every time I tried to 

reopen my first project, and on top of that, it added a huge border to it when I exported it. And they want $199!? >:(  I'll try 

the workflow again and see If I can get it to work. brb...... It did the same thing as last time. I'm pretty sure I followed the directions 

correctly but when I drop and drag (last step) I just see the original image as it normally was when I imported it. 

5 minutes ago, mattgolfs said:

And they want $199!?

Who want $199? As a ‘legacy’ product, DrawPlus X8 is $25 these days.

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, mattgolfs said:

Yes! in fact, I'm on the hunt for a commercial vector design program and tried DrawPlus first and it crashed every time I tried to 

reopen my first project, and on top of that, it added a huge border to it when I exported it. And they want $199!? >:(  I'll try 

the workflow again and see If I can get it to work. brb...... It did the same thing as last time. I'm pretty sure I followed the directions 

correctly but when I drop and drag (last step) I just see the original image as it normally was when I imported it. 

Hey. So, if after the drag n drop (on the thumbnail) the image remains... that would indicate that the fill and gradient are all 100% opaque. So I'm guessing that your gradient is going from 100% black to 100% white and not black (or any color really) to 0% opacity. (something to double check at least).

EDIT: OR.... maybe the FX gradient is set to outside instead of inside?

15 hours ago, Harster13 said:

Not many clues here ;). Maybe post a vid of your process and people can chime in.

@toltec Just tried your method and its simplicity itself and a nice effect too.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions