You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer, windows: is there a rectangular transparency coming?

Designer, windows: is there a rectangular transparency coming?  That's the question.  Simple.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Some don't work and I'm afraid some I don't understand.  Here's what I'm talking about.  It's easy in DrawPlus as the attachment shows and I guess I can just do it there and then export it and import into Affinity Designer when I want that effect.post-32198-0-73590700-1487020206_thumb.jpg

I also don't understand how to add an attachment and have it appear as part of the post.  On my screen it attaches as a link that disappears after I view it and return to the post.  WTF???

post-32198-0-55316700-1487020644_thumb.jpg

I think that currently the only way to create a rectangular transparency is to apply four linear transparencies at right angles to each other.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think that currently the only way to create a rectangular transparency is to apply four linear transparencies at right angles to each other.

How can you apply four transparencies to one AD object?

I am not sure I understand what is meant by a "rectangular transparency." Does that mean a uniform transparency applied to a particular layer, to a group or what?  :unsure:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

How can you apply four transparencies to one AD object?

Apply one, group the layer, apply the next, etc. ;)

I am not sure I understand what is meant by a "rectangular transparency." Does that mean a uniform transparency applied to a particular layer, to a group or what?   :unsure:

I believe the OP wants the effect shown in the attached example.

post-8358-0-25926900-1486993052_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

Apply one, group the layer, apply the next, etc. ;).

Technically, that is four objects, not one!  :P

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Something like this?

(contour is the important setting)

Well, that's most clever!!! !!

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Too clever for me! I can't figure out what JimmyJack has done. :(

Alfred spacer.png

Wow, five exclamation points! (although.... it looks like there could have been 6!!  ;)  )

Is it time for the dance??  :D

elvis-get-down.gif

Alfred, no big mystery. It's a rectangle with an FX outline (gradient contour) moved to the mask position of the image (example attached).

rectangle fade example.afdesign

• Staff

Try creating a rectangle, apply the Gaussian blur FX to it setting the radius to define how wide the blur is, then move it onto your layer as a layer mask.  That should achieve what you are after.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 14/02/2017 at 2:05 AM, JimmyJack said:

Alfred, no big mystery. It's a rectangle with an FX outline (gradient contour) moved to the mask position of the image (example attached).

Thanks, JimmyJack. I've got it now! thumbup1.gif

On 14/02/2017 at 9:55 AM, Ben said:

Try creating a rectangle, apply the Gaussian blur FX to it setting the radius to define how wide the blur is, then move it onto your layer as a layer mask.  That should achieve what you are after.

That's a nice effect too, Ben, but as a longstanding DrawPlus user I can see that it isn't quite what the OP was looking for. JimmyJack has it spot on.

For anyone still struggling to see what JimmyJack did, here are the steps:

1. Open the image that you want to use

2. Cover it with a solid-filled rectangle

3. Add an 'Outline' layer effect

• Alignment: Inside

• Fill style: Contour

• Gradient: 0% opacity at the left-hand end

4. Still in the Layer Effects dialog, set the Radius for the effect to the desired border width

• The maximum slider value is 100px, but you can type a larger value into the box

5. Close the Layer Effects dialog

6. In the Layers panel, drag the rectangle thumbnail and drop it onto the image thumbnail

Alfred spacer.png

Alfred: Glad you got it. And thanks for putting together the breakdown.

Harster13: Did Alfred's list help? At least you can now point to a step # where you get lost. The one thing I would add (on #6) is that when you do it, you will see vertical blue line appear on the right side of the thumbnail image. That's how you know you're in the right spot to drop.

Also, to everyone. This method will work on any shape!  :)

Why we can have a contour setting there (in FX) and not elsewhere.... I do not know  :huh: .

I have the feeling I'm missing just one little thing.

It could be in step 6:

6. In the Layers panel, drag the rectangle thumbnail and drop it onto the image thumbnail.

Affinity Photo 

Everything seems to go smoothly, but when I get to the final step, it just cuts off the edge of the photo like I had cropped it.

What does the rectangle look like just before you drag its thumbnail in the Layers panel? When you're ready to drop it onto the image thumbnail, do you see the vertical blue line that JimmyJack mentioned?

post-8358-0-19858100-1487120485_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

I'm embarrassed.  It's apparently going to take this old man forever to learn my way around AD.  So much of the terminology is new to me, that the tutorials, written or video, cause me to glaze over.  I learn best by doing what I need to do, and I'm sorry you guys will sometimes pay the price.

Since my last post (#17), I took a shower and that's where it came to me.  Boy am I a dummy!  In my defense, I'm so used to working in DrawPlus that I didn't even think to add a mask layer before I added the rectangle.  Once I did that, it all went perfectly.  I just want to thank all of you.  You guys are great and here's my result (I still don't know how to get the image to show up in this post other than as a thumbnail attachment).

post-32198-0-67054100-1487126528_thumb.png

In my defense, I'm so used to working in DrawPlus that I didn't even think to add a mask layer before I added the rectangle.  Once I did that, it all went perfectly.

Dropping the rectangle onto the image thumbnail creates a mask layer for you, so if you've done it correctly you shouldn't need to add it as a separate step. Anyway, I'm glad you got there! BTW, that's a very nice result.

(I still don't know how to get the image to show up in this post other than as a thumbnail attachment)

You can't. Large images (>100px square, I think) are always displayed as thumbnails, to save on 'bandwidth' and to reduce the amount of scrolling needed when reading through forum posts.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2017 at 4:36 AM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Thanks, JimmyJack. I've got it now! thumbup1.gif

That's a nice effect too, Ben, but as a longstanding DrawPlus user I can see that it isn't quite what the OP was looking for. JimmyJack has it spot on.

For anyone still struggling to see what JimmyJack did, here are the steps:

1. Open the image that you want to use

2. Cover it with a solid-filled rectangle

3. Add an 'Outline' layer effect

• Alignment: Inside

• Fill style: Contour

• Gradient: 0% opacity at the left-hand end

4. Still in the Layer Effects dialog, set the Radius for the effect to the desired border width

• The maximum slider value is 100px, but you can type a larger value into the box

5. Close the Layer Effects dialog

6. In the Layers panel, drag the rectangle thumbnail and drop it onto the image thumbnail

Didn't work for me. Shouldn't be this hard to add an effect like this. :(

3 minutes ago, mattgolfs said:

Didn't work for me. Shouldn't be this hard to add an effect like this. :(

Where did it fail? (I agree that it shouldn’t be hard to add it as an effect within the program. Since they did it for DrawPlus, they obviously have an algorithm for it!)

Alfred spacer.png