Cygemth

Bug with digital pen tablet. Brush/Eraser

Hello!!

I am starting with Affinity with the 10 days trial, so far I think its a great software!

I use a HUION USB PEN TABLET 420, it works very well, but if im using some tool, like the brush, and I lift up the pen, and after a few seconds I put it on the tablet again, Affinity automatically switches the tool to the eraser without pressing any key or button. I tried to disable the buttons on the pen, but still it switches from the current tool to the eraser every time I lift up the pen and put it down again. 

Hope this helps to improve the software!  :D

Cygemth.

Hey Cygemth,

I've just been testing our Huion H58L and it seems to be working as expected. I assume other than the tool changing, the tablet works fine in general?

Can you go into Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts and remove the shortcut for the Eraser and see if that stops this issue happening?

Cygemth,

May I ask if Chris B's suggestion worked? I too am interested in switching to a Huion at some point, but I face the same issue you faced with the Ugee on Mac.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

@Cygemth,
I don't know the Huion 420.
But the "Huion new 1060 plus" works very well for me.
The selection of the tools I put on the soft keys,
e. g. paint brush tool, pen tool[P ]
and the settings of the tools are assigned to the Express Keys.
as already written a reinstall of the driver should fixes the Problem.
Here is a link to the current drivers.

@ Bri-Toon
how the Huion graphics tablet works with a MAC I can't judge 100% because I works on a Windows system,
nothing negative was reported from my acquaintances.

Best Regards

Gnobelix

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 :  Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.0.258 :     Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 : Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.0.258:

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.0.270:       Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1809 Build 17763.379)

Hey All, (just joined)

I'm having the same problem with a Huion GT 191 using WIndows 10.

I've uninstalled & reinstalled the latest drivers, & it worked for about 5 mins, & went back to the same problem again.... Any other ideas?

I'm wonder if the problem first pops up after you adjust the eraser setting (e.g. brush size) for the first time, & the glitch kicks in.

Cheers

Hi GaryRS and welcome to the Affinity forum. I got a Huion tablet about two months ago and I faced this issue, but I also faced it with another tablet (Ugee). As far as I can tell (could be wrong), the issue is caused by accidental right clicks from the stylus while using one of the brush tools. Normally, that would erase, but the program doesn't switch back to the brush. I found that sometimes holding the button while brushing with the Brush Tool will actually stay on the Brush Tool, but it can be very picky. But that would be annoying having to keep doing that, so here is a better workaround for the time being. Go to the Huion tablet settings, and in the Stylus Pen tab, choose what the two buttons on the pen do. I have them both blank since I never really use them. This, for me, stopped the issue, and now I just use a mouse on the side for other quick controls. I hope this helps, but I'm not sure if you'd want to disable the buttons just to solve the issue like I did. Let me know if this works.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi all

To chime in here I'm also having this problem - on two different Huion tablets, the H950P and the H640P. They're both brand new, with new drivers installed on the laptop in the last 48 hours.

I've tried disabling the buttons on the pen so they do nothing and I'm still having the exact same problem. It's very, very strange and doesn't appear to be related to accidental clicks, at least in my case.

It won't stop me using Affinity as it's the only software I have and I don't fancy paying 4 times the price for a Wacom - so I'll stick with the combo, but I'm hoping there's a fix!

Edited to add that this is happening on Windows 10 in Designer.

Hi,

Pretty sure I'm not pressing the buttons on the pen. I tried various options with that in mind, but it made no difference. 

I've reinstalled the drivers again, and it works for about 10 mins (which makes it even more frustrating)

I've emailed Huion, including a video of the issue, so I'll see what they say.

Gotta fix this somehow. 

I had this on my Huion - took the same approach as Bri-Toon (disabled the buttons in the Huion driver settings) and that solved the issue for me.

Still, is rather frustrating.

Hope Huion / Serif can sort this out between them.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

ScreenToGIF (Open Source, Portable, ~610kB)

Probably speaking too soon, but I think I found the problem.

IMHO (with very little tech knowledge) it seems to me that Windows 10 with it's 'Windows Pen & Ink" was clashing with the Huion Pen. 

I had set the windows pen options to Nothing, & Allow apps to overide thinking this would be for the best.

I've now set all the options to "Windows Ink Workspace"... & still "Allow apps..."

Hope that makes any kinda sense! Seems to have worked

Something to do with it think that the end of the pen is the eraser!?! dunno... still .... working!!!

1 hour ago, GaryRS said:

Probably speaking too soon, but I think I found the problem.

IMHO (with very little tech knowledge) it seems to me that Windows 10 with it's 'Windows Pen & Ink" was clashing with the Huion Pen. 

I had set the windows pen options to Nothing, & Allow apps to overide thinking this would be for the best.

I've now set all the options to "Windows Ink Workspace"... & still "Allow apps..."

Hope that makes any kinda sense! Seems to have worked

Something to do with it think that the end of the pen is the eraser!?! dunno... still .... working!!!

Ooh hope that does solve the issue! I may give that a go if it crops up again for me.

I may also have found another fix - I went to the Huion website and downloaded the last couple of drivers before the most recent one. I installed the one published in January and I was able to use the tablet all afternoon without any issues - including with having the pen buttons set to use shortcuts.

Not brilliant to have to run an outdated version, but as long as it works I don't mind!

It'd be interesting to know if we were all using the latest versions of our respective drivers when the problem occurred.

I'm pretty sure it's the latest drivers, downloaded from the Huion website.

Tried it in both Designer & in Photo for a while this eveing and it hasn't glitched once.

I've not set up short-cut let's on the pen yet.... Hesitant!! 

My daughter's seem happy it's working 

FB_IMG_1526243088771.jpg

I've posted this on another related thread as well, this is a fix that worked for me, and also enabled me to install the latest Huion driver which hadn't previously worked.  Affinity was auto switching to eraser tool every time it detected the pen, and also bugged out on zooming in/out sometimes as well (my pen buttons are set to mouse wheel forward/backward).

Using Huion h640p on Win 7.

1. Press start key, search for and open services.exe

2. Scroll down to Tablet PC input service

3.  Right Click and choose properties.  Look for 'Startup Type' and choose 'Disabled' from the drop down menu.

4. Restart PC and go through 1-3 again to check that Tablet PC input service status is blank and the startup type remains disabled.  Because windows.

5. Uninstall and reinstall Huion driver. 

This then worked for me without restart or unplugging or re-plugging the tablet back in.  I tried another uninstall of the old Huion driver (13.15.2 (8192)) and reinstalled the latest one (14.7.6) just to see, and it also worked where previously it hadn't.  I can't find the link again but I read that microsoft recommends disabling this service if you're using an external tablet/one that comes with it's own software, but it's not easy to find.This may work for Win10.  I'd also recommend disabling Windows Ink on Win 10 (don't think this is much of an issue in Win 7 but I've unchecked it in the Huion driver anyway), google will throw up a how to on disabling Ink.

Hope this helps someone!

11 hours ago, xingtian said:

just have a try disabled Windows Ink function .

Been using a XP-Pen Star G430 OSU Tablet  for 3 years now, This tiny little Drawing pad is adorable ,

I use Affinity Designer on Mac plus Photoshop . 

I use XP-Pen myself. Out of the three tablet manufactures I've used, they are the best in my opinion. I have the Artist 15.6, and I agree they are adorable.