You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So my biggest gripe with Affinity Photo has to be the channels workflow. I use my image editor for texture work for 3D and I have to be able to edit color and alpha channels. I was able to do everything I needed with photoshop but I'm not willing to support subscription models, so I would love to be able to just use affinity and not need anything else.

Thanks to this post https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4730-split-channels/I was finally able to figure out how to create a layer from a channel.

(In photoshop this is done by showing only one channel in the channels panel, selecting everything and hitting copy, then pasting into a new layer)

Now I need to know how to paste from a layer into a channel. So that I can combine 3 separate images (or layers) into a single image/layer where each of the previous ones is one of the color channels?

(In photoshop I would just click on my layer, select all pixels, copy, chose a layer to paste into, show only the color channel I want to edit and paste)

Likewise how can I paste a layer into the alpha channel?

(In photoshop I could chose a layer, select all, copy, chose a layer, go into the channels panel select the alpha channel and paste)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Now I need to know how to paste from a layer into a channel. So that I can combine 3 separate images (or layers) into a single image/layer where each of the previous ones is one of the color channels?

(In photoshop I would just click on my layer, select all pixels, copy, chose a layer to paste into, show only the color channel I want to edit and paste)

Do you mean Channel Packing like this: Affinity Photo - Channel Packing

the above mentioned link/clip  is explaining it well even for packing stuff in the alpha channel but it seems that

exporting RGB-A images doesn´t seem to be possible currently with Affinity Photo.

As an example; Exporting as PSD will result only in an RGB file.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

the above mentioned link/clip  is explaining it well even for packing stuff in the alpha channel but it seems that

exporting RGB-A images doesn´t seem to be possible currently with Affinity Photo.

As an example; Exporting as PSD will result only in an RGB file.

??? The A in RGBA just stands for the alpha transparency channel, & I have no problems exporting AP documents to the PSD format that includes it, or to any other format that supports transparency.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello RC-R,

to be more specific;
I wasn´t able to make Affinity Photo export images with an alpha channel which simply stores the transparency without affecting the other three channels.

There would be a need to save files out as premultiplied and straight alphas.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

• Staff

I wasn´t able to make Affinity Photo export images with an alpha channel which simply stores the transparency without affecting the other three channels.

There would be a need to save files out as premultiplied and straight alphas.

This has been logged with our developers. Hopefully we'll add better support in the future :)