Sign in to follow this  
FaradayCage

Brush stroke glitches in AP Trial version on Wacom, macOS

Using a (new) mid-2015 MacBook Pro on macOS 10.12.3, and a Cintiq 13HD; have tried both Wacom drivers 6.3.15-3 and 6.3.18-4.  More recent drivers create a nasty sticky key problem or mess up smooth strokes with the pen stylus.  The least troublesome drivers are the two mentioned. This may be a issue mainly between Wacom and Apple which they must address.  However, I thought you might want to know it affects application software like Affinity Photo.

I've been longing for a reasonable alternative to overpriced Adobe Photoshop, and AP is nearly there except for a few missing parts.  For example you cannot display brushes in the brush menu as small square thumbnails without a stroke.  I cannot find a way to shrink the brush preview but perhaps I'm missing something. You can see AP brush menu here alongside Photoshop's menu. I would like to fit about 30 brushes in the space AP provides, but cannot.

IbAbuzZ.jpg

At any rate, the real roadblock is this brush glitch where the initial stroke often turns into a short line segment.  This will make painting and sketching very problematic. For comparison, you can see similar normal strokes in Photoshop CS6.  I chose circles because it shows up better in such strokes. 

oDoFyYb.jpg

Also, using the Wacom drivers on macOS Sierra seems to create, as well, a nasty sticky keys problem in both AP and Photoshop.  What happens is when you hold down, say, the spacebar to access the pan tool, when you let go the computer still thinks the key is depressed.  You have to tap the key several times to force the machine to return to normal behavior. There are several threads on the internet discussing problems between Wacom drivers and macOS, and no one has found a good solution.  I was hoping some of the sticky key problems were a triple combination of Photoshop, Wacom and macOS that I could avoid by using Affinity, however the problem seems to exist in AP as well.

Hi FaradayCage

There is no alternate view for the brushes but if you feel there may be a benefit for one the please do create a feature request thread in our feature request section. 

For the short lines at the start of stroke we are aware of this. The team are currently doing work on brushes and strokes for the next major update so hopefully well get this rectified or at least improved somewhat.

Glad you are enjoying the rest of the software though. any other issues do feel free to let us know :)

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com