You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer | Direct selection tool

Hi Heres Johnny,

Double-click an object within a group with the Node Tool to edit its nodes, or just a single time if you are already inside the group layer.

Oh ok that works. Didn't know that because I tried doing exactly the same thing on a rectangle. But you can't edit nodes on a rectangle (to transform it into a different shape), can you?

Oh ok that works. Didn't know that because I tried doing exactly the same thing on a rectangle. But you can't edit nodes on a rectangle (to transform it into a different shape), can you?

If you create a rectangle with the Rectangle Tool, you can only change the corner types. In order to be able to make more radical changes, you need to convert it to curves.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Working on a little project to help me transition from AI to AD.

I have an compound path object (ie hole in the centre). I want to select just the internal path, copy and paste in place on it’s own layer to manipulate it in some way. In AI I would use the Direct Selection Tool. In AD, when I select the Node Tool and click on the internal path the whole compound object seems selected. How do I just select one path of a compound or grouped object?

• Staff

Hi RMcK,
There's no way to select just the internal path on a compound path. Duplicate the compound path, press the Divide boolean operation button in the main toolbar to separate the compound into its basic shape components and delete the part you don't want (or go to menu Layer > Geometry > Separate Curves; does the same as Divide).

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi RMcK,
There's no way to select just the internal path on a compound path. Duplicate the compound path, press the Divide boolean operation button in the main toolbar to separate the compound into its basic shape components and delete the part you don't want (or go to menu Layer > Geometry > Separate Curves; does the same as Divide).

Thanks MEB. That's an OK workaround but was a bit time consuming. An AI style direct selection tool would be really handy in selecting and copying / separating parts of compound paths or parts of a grouped object. But I learned a couple new things today.