You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

Affinity Photo provides no thumbnail viewing for the content of RAW images, which seems to me an omission since Win10 also fails in that respect. So it is impossible to see what one wants to open and process. Two questions then: Will this be addressed within Affinity Photo? Does anyone know of an image viewer that does reveal thumbnails of the content?

Michael

Affinity Photo provides no thumbnail viewing for the content of RAW images…

Of course not and that is no omission since the RAW data

can't be modified…

However, if on Mac, the finder may generate a preview.

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

Of course not and that is no omission since the RAW data

can't be modified…

However, if on Mac, the finder may generate a preview.

Hello

Affinity Photo provides no thumbnail viewing for the content of RAW images, which seems to me an omission since Win10 also fails in that respect. So it is impossible to see what one wants to open and process. Two questions then: Will this be addressed within Affinity Photo? Does anyone know of an image viewer that does reveal thumbnails of the content?

Michael

I can see Nikon NEF raw thumbnails in the my pictures folder on Windows 10 on my PC. I downloaded Microsoft`s camera codec pack. I right click the mouse on the thumbnail then from the drop down menu I choose open in Affinity Photo.  Not sure if that is what you mean, but hope it helps.

This rather belies the above response?

I think not!

The reason is in the name Fast Stone viewer. The same the finder

does on Mac to quickly render an unsaved preview that does not

reflect the work done on a file.

www.kodiakmedia.at

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

Omission on my part. I meant the original camera downloads need thumbnails not the work I have done on them subsequently. That I can find because it is labelled. It is necessary to see some representation of original content otherwise after a few thousand images where does one look? So I rather fail to understand your comment kodiak. If an open source viewer can produce thumbnails then almost certainly Affinity Photo should be able to do so.

Many thanks for the other comment. I shall try forthwith.

I was unable to find this pack for Win10. The MS Download centre had it only for earlier versions. Did you go via Softonic perhaps?

There are many warnings about this codec pack on the web. MS doesn't produce one and the link it gives has many warning notices attached. For the time being at least I shall stay with the FastStone viewer. But returning to the original comment an Affinity Photo logo is really not much help in locating images!

For Windows there often also additional camera vendor specific codecs available, which will address thumbnail previewing. For example since I have some Nikon cams, I use Nikon's own NEF Codec here on Windows instead of Microsofts Camera Codec Pack. - When some raw codec is installed, the Win explorer and other programs like IrfanView etc. should all handle previews of RAW files.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Omission on my part. I meant the original camera downloads need thumbnails not the work I have done on them subsequently. That I can find because it is labelled. It is necessary to see some representation of original content otherwise after a few thousand images where does one look? So I rather fail to understand your comment kodiak. If an open source viewer can produce thumbnails then almost certainly Affinity Photo should be able to do so.

Many thanks for the other comment. I shall try forthwith.

I was unable to find this pack for Win10. The MS Download centre had it only for earlier versions. Did you go via Softonic perhaps?

There are many warnings about this codec pack on the web. MS doesn't produce one and the link it gives has many warning notices attached. For the time being at least I shall stay with the FastStone viewer. But returning to the original comment an Affinity Photo logo is really not much help in locating images!

This is where I got them from.  

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

BTW the codecs available in the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack are already built-in to Windows 10, but not all vendor cams are supported here and if you want to add support for Adobe’s DNG format, or other propriety formats not supported by Windows, you’ll still need to download a separate codec! - So it also depends on your specific camera vendor and model !

• post-49706-0-81248200-1486926092_thumb.png

Maybe I should add, AFAIK only Nikon and Sony do offer an own vendor specific Windows codec here. For other by Windows not supported cams, one has to use then other third party codecs like the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Of course not and that is no omission since the RAW data can't be modified…

Jeez...

So how are users supposed to know which Raw file they're opening in Photo, then?

Of course it's an omission - no, it's a potential show-stopper - not to be able to see Raw thumbnails in the Open dialogue. How on earth could it be anything else than a serious problem?

Lucky that some here actually know what they're talking about:

thumbnails.jpg

Yes. Raw thumbnails in Photo.

Keith Reeder

So I rather fail to understand your comment kodiak:

Granted, I did not formulated my thoughts correctly;

English is not my language and, from French, I really

messed up the translation. Sorry for that.

To Mr. Reeder:

I would respectfully ask you to ignore me, learn to be

cool, get a life for yourself… what ever but would you

be so kind as to stay off my back! Thank you.

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)