You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The transparency 'wine glass' is only available in the Draw Persona in Affinity Designer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

not good news :wacko:

Why? The tool only works on vector objects, but if say you want to add a transparent gradient to a pixel layer you can just add a rectangle (or whatever shape you want) layer above it or as a child layer & use the Transparency tool on that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Evat,

In Affinity Photo you can apply transparency to objects through masking. There's a few ways to accomplish this in Photo, one of the simplest is to create a new Fill Layer going to menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer then dragging it over the thumbnail of the object or layer you want it to affect in the Layers panel. With the Fill Layer selected (click on its thumbnail in the Layers panel to select it) use the Gradient Tool to control its opacity: 

• if you use a solid colour fill type (select it from the Type dropdown in the context toolbar) you can set the transparency of the whole layer changing the opacity of that colour in the bottom of the colour panel (the colour itself is irrelevant here only the opacity matters for the masking).
  • If you set the fill gradient type to a gradient (no matter if linear, elliptical etc) and drag the Gradient tool on the canvas you can set the opacity for each node of the gradient independently selecting it (the node) on the canvas then setting its opacity in the Colour panel.

Here's a small clip (no sound) of the process.

Why? The tool only works on vector objects, but if say you want to add a transparent gradient to a pixel layer you can just add a rectangle (or whatever shape you want) layer above it or as a child layer & use the Transparency tool on that.

The Transparency tool in Designer also works on Image layers (it doesn't work on Pixel layers).

In Photo/Designer creating a shape above the layer (with transparency or not) doesn't do nothing and placing it as a child may also do nothing - a clipped shape (with or without transparency) is a child of a layer however it doesn't affect the transparency of the parent layer. For the shape to work as a mask It must be explicitly dragged over the thumbnail of the image layer.

Meb will this work on transparent background? mostly i use transparncy when i make glassy shadow of the text but mostly my text is on transparent background.

If I create the fill layer is gone go over the transparent background

In Photo/Designer creating a shape above the layer (with transparency or not) doesn't do nothing and placing it as a child may also do nothing ...

Try setting the shape layer mode to Erase.  ;)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Evat,

Can you please attach the file you are working with using this link so i can see how you have it structured? There's too many variations and ways to approach this.

Try setting the shape layer mode to Erase.  ;)

What does have Blend modes to do with this? You never mentioned them. Actually changing the Blend Mode to Erase just erases the object itself (more or less if it has a gradient applied with colour opacity set) and all the layers below if placed above other objects. It doesn't control its opacity. Only If clipped inside a pixel layer it will erase itself (again more or less depending on the opacity of the values of the gradient if it has one applied) and the parent layer to which its clipped to.

Sorry, I should have mentioned the blend mode in my first post, but this is what I am talking about:

Red Cloud BG.afdesign

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

The point of the thread is precisely the fact that the Transparency Tool is not available in Affinity Photo. The file you attached used the Transparency Tool in Affinity Designer to vary the transparency of the rectangle. What's the point? You can't control its opacity values in Affinity Photo...

You have to apply a Gradient (not Transparency) with the opacity set in each node of the gradient to be able to edit it in Affinity Photo. Here's the modified file:

Red Cloud BG_MEBEDITED.afdesign

The point of the thread is precisely the fact that the Transparency Tool is not available in Affinity Photo.

I did not realize that was the point of the thread. Sorry.

Affinity Photo