You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing previews when loading RAW files

Other than exhibiting a preview for DNG raw files, when opening a file for processing, there is no preview picture displayed in AP dialog.  I have tested PEF (Pentax), and RAF (Fuji) files.  I also checked and found my cameras shown on the camera list posted on the Affinity site.  My question is basically if this is a temporary situation, or a problem with my AP installation.  Given that when trying to load a RAW image, I have time to pour a cup of coffee, before it renders, I am hoping that some attention to this situation is being addressed by the developers.  This software seems to be on the cusp of being more than superior.  Any one experiencing the above? (couldn't locate this subject on the forum)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Jojoba816,

Welcome to the forums.

If you aren't seeing thumbnail previews of RAW files when using File > Open for example this will be due to the OS not having built in support for that file type. The supported RAW list for Affinity Photo, lists all the different RAW files that Photo can open, but we don't create the thumbnails for these on the open/browse dialogues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jojoba816,

Welcome to the forums.

If you aren't seeing thumbnail previews of RAW files when using File > Open for example this will be due to the OS not having built in support for that file type. The supported RAW list for Affinity Photo, lists all the different RAW files that Photo can open, but we don't create the thumbnails for these on the open/browse dialogues.

So, in respect of workflow with certain types of RAW files its pretty much useless i guess.  Back to Capture NX-D then.  One of the reasons i got AF was the ability to work on D500 / D750 NEF files, obviously there was small print attached somewhere.!!

It would be nice to of known that such issues are apparently occurring, a bit dissapointed to say the least.

Related to file browser based image previews (thumbnails) here ...

For Nikon NEFs on Windows systems the Nikon NEF Codec should help here, after installing that the OS and most tools like third party image viewers etc. which can't deal themselves with NEF files will show up the preview images. - On a Mac the OS has it's own Apple RAW codec build-in and probably needs an update (Apple RAW-compatibility-update 6.19 for digital cameras, or just the latest update version of that) then which supports the Nikon D500 RAW L-format too!

Sony does offer also a free Windows codec here for their cams, for other cam vendors (Pentax/Fuji etc.) if their RAW file preview is not supported as default under Windows 10, then a third party codec like FastPictureViewer codec is needed here. On MacOS usually Apple handles this for it's OS via it's RAW support.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2