LeviA

Why can I not paint on a layer in Affinity Photo?

Why can I not paint in Affinity Photo?

It is as if the program does not register that I am putting a black paint stroke on a layer...or any other color stroke for that matter.

Do you have a pixel layer selected when you are painting?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I had this experience too. Found out via the forum that you may have to Rasterize an image layer first.

Affinity Photo/Affinity Designer/Affinity Publisher | macOS 10.14 Mojave | MBP13 2013

If you try to paint on an 'Image' layer, shouldn't the Assistant automagically rasterize it? :unsure:

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Thanks for pointing that out, Miguel. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that "paint" meant using the Paint Brush Tool!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

I am having this issue as well. Running rasterize on the layer doesn't seem to make any difference. Some non-obvious config issue perhaps? I have seen various posts about this issue from new users and no-one seems to have the definitive answer. 

One cause can be the opacity of the chosen color.  This is separate from the opacity of the brush itself - it is set in the color picker.  If it is 0, the brush will paint nothing.

Another is that if you hit "b" more than once you will change the tool...

I have the same problem. I assume it is operator error because it only does this intermittently, I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong because this is killing me during my rush work!  I made a video to show what I'm doing -- I have covered all the steps right? Oh -- one thing not shown in the video is that there is nothing selected, but the result is the same if I first draw a marquee to select an area of the empty layer. Help!!

Here's that video:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pz1brs1flum6az/cantPaintOnLayer.mp4?dl=0