You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A way to export project for devs/coders

Hey,

Have been using Affinity for two years now and I never looked back after using Sketch and Photoshop. However I work in a big company now and I have a serious issues with exporting design for other people. Coders usually export project exported in PSD, they can also work with Sketch files (with Avocode and such).

However PSD export is pretty useless since AD exports text as a bitmap and Avocode support is nowhere to be seen. The only way for me is to export all elements for the projects and put notes to every text aresa so coders know the font size/color/weight, which is very time consuming. 

Please help me out here, I would love to advocade AD to other colleagues but luck of proper export for coders to use holds the app back big time. I would be really sad if I needed to switch back to other apps just because of this.

Mike

• 1 month later...
I really have problem with Affinity. Developers do not want work with affinity designer project. Because no Avocode support, no Zepelin support, no InVision support. How developer can get object info easy? Like Avocode or Zepelin. 

Now, Affinity Designer - it is not good instrument for UI. When you create Affinity Designer you must understand, that developers will use project. And Affinity do not have nothing for developers. (Only slice instruments). How developers can fast get info CSS (in one click) for button or text?   I need to make my UI design in Sketch. :( Its more faster and easy for developers. 

Maybe you will  make special app for this? 

Thanks.

I agree that the current export options are too limited for a good designer<-->developer workflow. I looked at Designer's and Photo's roadmaps, but this does not seem to be mentioned in either.

When you are working in a company within a team that requires you to adjust to their workflow, than I am afraid you will have to switch (at least temporarily until Affinity figures this out) to Photoshop. Perhaps you can do your main work in Affinity, and export to Photoshop and finish up in there?

It's too bad the Affinity devs haven't responded yet to your thread. It would be good to know whether this is going to be addressed at all or not.

Ideally I would like to see something like Specctr implemented: https://specctr.com/cloud/home

You could use Photoshop and Specctr to finish your work before handing it to your colleagues. I don't think it is wise to stubbornly hold on to a tool that works against you and takes more time to complete your work. I found that by combining tools things can be done faster and more efficiently.

• 7 months later...

An update/reply on this one from the developers team would be awesome, especially now since the 1.6 version has been released!

I'm in the same boat as @Mikeintosh... the devs I work with require fully editable PSDs file since they're not willing to switch/learn a new software so I'm stuck with making web design in PS which is a nightmare performance wise when using many large full HD artboards. AD works buttery smooth but since I can't export PSD with text layer it's pretty useless to me at this point!

So guys... any news on this one???

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

• 4 weeks later...

I am hoping to use Affinity Designer for web design myself but like everyone here it is impossible to do so due to the text compatibility issue. Is this something that will be updated very soon? As we need the text in our exported PSD files to be editable for developers.

I love this program by the way, just need this issue dealt with and AD will be my sole design software, until then though PS will have to do.

• 10 months later...