You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bulleted stroke in phase in Affinity designer 1.5

Hello Sirs,

I'm trying to draw a perfect bulleted stroke in a square shape, but the angles result out of phase.

Will you tell a trick to get it perfect please?

Thank you

post-39282-0-08025700-1486823059_thumb.jpg

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 950 4 gb Memory

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm

Try this. Scale the box up till its just big enough to add 2 more dots to the periphery. Then go into the stroke settings, and check "scale" w object." then scale back down.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Doesn't work correctly, at least not the usual way. Even if you make a rectangle out of 4 sliced together or grouped together bullet lines, the moment you resize/scale the whole, it gets always distorted.

EDIT:

When the bullet square shape is made out of grouped together seperate lines and "scale with object" is checked for the whole, then it seems to work for scaling up and down. But that might not be what you intentionally wanted, aka creating the rectangle shape out of separate lines.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

OK, to get a little more detailed. 

When the dots are made with a very small width, say .01 or .001, the circular portion gets really close to the width of the stroke. If the dot size added to the empty space, the dash, is an even divider of the stroke length, the dots will be evenly spaced.

If you have some arbitrary sized perimeter, it becomes difficult to figure. At what size does an x sized stroke divide evenly into a rectangle that is, say, 5.3" x 1.23"? Go figure. 

But, if the rectangle is uniformly sized up or down, somewhere the dots will fit evenly

I'm attaching a screen shot showing the settings for the stroke and the size of the rectangle. It was specifically set up to be easy math-wise to get the dots to be even and at each corner. With the stroke set to conform to the object size, that particular shape can be scaled.

post-34886-0-12826000-1486856101_thumb.jpg

post-34886-0-24334000-1486856130_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

BTW, the method I'm describing is often not  perfectly accurate. Just pretty close. But then its pretty easy to expand the stroke, divide the curves and then align & distribute the individual circles. Not very 1-2-3, more like + 4-5-6-7. 

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks everyone for your replies.

This is the solution I found overnight:

draw whatever square you want

fill to null

stroke solid - allign to inside

convert to curve

break curve in every node, in order to get 4 separated sides

now apply the dash line with | 0.02 | 2,33 | 0 | 0 |

Just in case you can alling each side manually 

post-39282-0-71755100-1486883759_thumb.jpg

post-39282-0-95013900-1486884078_thumb.jpg

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm

You said a square in your original post but drew a rectangle.

Either way they should scale perfectly if the maths is correct.

See the attached... if the square or the rectangle is resized via the diagonal nodes (i.e. maintaining the aspect ratio) then the bullets should all stay aligned.

Is this what you wanted as I'm not sure if I understood your requirements correctly?

bullets.afdesign

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you carl123.

I apologize, I was not quite precise.

I see your file and it shows that when I draw a square or a rectancle with a double square sizes, it works.

But when I try to draw a different rectangle the dots do not stay in the angle. 

I attach a sample

post-39282-0-61599000-1486911313_thumb.png

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm

You have to calculate the correct size for the rectangle height and width you want to use in relation to your bullet size  (stroke)

I used a stroke of 10 and all my rectangles are in multiple of 10 for both height and width

Only when you have done that do you switch on "scale with object" to make it scalable (if needed)

bullets2.afdesign

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You have to calculate the correct size for the rectangle height and width you want to use in relation to your bullet size  (stroke)

I used a stroke of 10 and all my rectangles are in multiple of 10 for both height and width

Only when you have done that do you switch on "scale with object" to make it scalable (if needed)

Thank you, now I see.

I did not know they had to be multiple of 10

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm