You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pan and zoom with middle button and wheel

G'day, I have only looked at the trial version now for a few minutes after hearing great things, and it looks really good.

However, I would like to suggest adding the ability to zoom with just the mouse wheel without needing any modifier key, and the ability to pan with just the middle mouse button, again without requiring any modifier key.

XARA can do this, GIMP can do this, Inkscape can do this, even Anime Studio does something very similar, and one reason I don't like Photoshop or Illustrator is that they can't do this. Being able to pan and zoom using just the mouse feels so right to me that not having this feature is a crippling show-stopper.

I will purchase AD if and only if this feature will be added.

Cheers,

Jules

• Staff

It would have to be a preferences option - it is obviously directly competing with the current behaviour of the scroll wheel scrolling the document up/down. If you hold the middle mouse button down at the moment, it should pan - does it not work for you? It's also worth noting that if you scroll the mouse scroll wheel while holding the middle button down that the document will zoom as you requested.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for responding so quickly Matt. LOL, yes actually the middle button does pan for me, I was in a rush and somehow missed that before.

An option for wheel-zoom would still be a really good thing though, as it's quite a finger contortion or even a wheel-damaging operation depending on the kind of mouse you use, to hold the middle button while using the wheel.

Thanks,

Jules

I am all for choice and options, however I'd like chime in for the the current setup of wheel zoom with the option key pressed and don't enjoy pressing the wheel to pan. In other words the way it now works...

Just checking as your reply above is a little unclear... will this new addition be a customizable preference only Matt?  Cheers!

With my mouse I can move up and down with my middle button/wheel. Then when I hold and scroll the wheel, the zoom function kicks in. Much nicer than using the keyboard or trackpad?

Cost of mouse £2.00: priceless

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111