You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Madonna MDNA "Mirror" Effect

Hey,new here,Im usin both Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo,and ive found this really neat mirror effect in photoshop,and was wondering how could this be implicated in Affinity Photo,if it's possable? Here's the video to show you the effect im ref to.

Madonna MDNA "Mirror" Effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfvu5HBz8sc

Thanks for any feedback

Anna

post-51788-0-75564400-1486760903_thumb.png

Hello Anna,

Principle I see there no problem in Affinity Photo, one would have only something to adapt the expiration to affinity.
On the fly a workaround is created but because of the complexity is not as easy as possible, I would like to write to you just try it times with shapes, works quite well.

The video is well done, as is played with many functions of Photoshop,
I think that one could also make something more simplified.

Pollux

Hello Anna, Just to let you know that this is one of the topics I'm gonna cover in an upcoming tutorial, the mirror and prism effect. I'll post here at the forum as soon as it goes online.

Pedro

Fun! Pedro, I've clicked "Follow" this topic and look forward to your tut. Alan "MyStrawberryMonkey" was also talking in a post about mirror being one of his fav filters.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

I'm still working in another tutorial (three to be precise) before I can do this one but I wanna share what I made just to see if my idea could work. I also want to say that my goal is not to copy the MDNA cover despite you can do it with the approach I'm using. Will see the end result. For now see the attached file and tell me what you think.

Cheers,

Pedro

post-6864-0-82443200-1487179575_thumb.jpg

Photographer, Designer, Climber & Happy Gardener

...For know see the attached file and tell me what you think.

Cheers,

Pedro

Great looking! With this starter, I can see a lot of options for variation of result. For example, the choice of bkgd image will matter, the width/number of your (primary & secondary) rectangles will matter, and the choice of filters applied to (I'm guessing) the rectangles will affect the outcome. Possibly, the rectangles can be slanted off perpendicular also.

You are correct jer,

There are a lot of things to consider in order to get a good result with this technique. Nevertheless you can use it in every image despite the results.

And yes, the rectangles can be slanted as you like.

Pedro 

Looks promising so far and as a hint, if you also could automate the whole creation process or portions of it via replayable macros, I believe a lot of people will use it.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I'm still working in another tutorial (three to be precise) before I can do this one but I wanna share what I made just to see if my idea could work. I also want to say that my goal is not to copy the MDNA cover despite you can do it with the approach I'm using. Will see the end result. For know see the attached file and tell me what you think.

Cheers,

Pedro

Wow,I like your tech. I understand the other bits can be done on ones own,but this here I like,still right up there with the split mirrors,even if you didn't want to "copy" all. Thanks for sharing your preview and cant wait to see you're tutorial on this and others. :)

Just a small update regarding the MDNA ribber glass effect...

This is probably the final image. I'm gonna try to finish the tutorial next week :)

Ohh, it gets better and better! This will be a fun tutorial.

• 1 month later...

Hi Anna (and everyone else interested is this effect),

The tutorial regarding the MDNA cover (ribbed glass effect) is finally online.

You can see it here: Ribbed Glass Effect - The MDNA Cover

I hope the wait was worth it ;)

Cheers,

Pedro

Thanks Pedro,

These are great tutorials. Thank you and keep them coming.

Did you consider self-publishing a book with advanced tutorials about AD and AP?

I think that the community would appreciate your efforts and would make your time spent on making these tutorials more worthwhile for you.

Regards

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hi Seneca,

Thanks for the kind words. And I don't have intention of stoping here :)

Regarding your suggestion, its something that already came to my mind and that I'm considering seriously.

Let's see if I manage to get the time to do something worth it.

Kind Regards,

Pedro

Hi Anna (and everyone else interested is this effect), The tutorial regarding the MDNA cover (ribbed glass effect) is finally online.

You can see it here: Ribbed Glass Effect - The MDNA Cover

I hope the wait was worth it ;)  Cheers, Pedro

Pedro, fantastic! There is an amazing amount of training in various effects in this 29 min video. Additionally, I really enjoyed the 9 min of pre-work in AD then moving into AP for the remainder. Seeing how AD & AP can work together on a project like this made me think where it might be effective in some of my own works. Also, the many uses of Adjustment Layers and the duplicating, stacking and grouping of them was extremely helpful. And the result is beautiful. Tons of stuff in this one video - THANKS!

Pedro, fantastic! There is an amazing amount of training in various effects in this 29 min video. Additionally, I really enjoyed the 9 min of pre-work in AD then moving into AP for the remainder. Seeing how AD & AP can work together on a project like this made me think where it might be effective in some of my own works. Also, the many uses of Adjustment Layers and the duplicating, stacking and grouping of them was extremely helpful. And the result is beautiful. Tons of stuff in this one video - THANKS!

Hi jer,

I'm glad you like it and found it useful for your work.

Its also important to me to understand if the tutorials I'm making are being helpful and built in the proper way, so thanks for the feedback.

More will come very soon.

Cheers,

Pedro