You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My logo, which one do you prefer?

Nic727

Hi,

I'm currently remaking my personal logo for my portfolio. I would like your advice on which one do you prefer, because I don't really know what to do... Also, if you have some suggestions to improve my logos, feel free to share them. For the moment it's only draft and not final.

I was looking something that represent me. My first name is starting with "N" and last name with "D", but really difficult to make a cool design with those letters. I really love nature,  animals, space and aircraft. For my logos I was thinking about solar eclipse or how to introduce an aircraft for my logo. I prefer something circle since it's easier to put on a website or favicon. I don't know if it should be transparent or be filled up with colors.

You can find all drafts in attached files.

Here is my current logo that I want to remake. I think it was too simple.

logo_black.png

Basic questions :

1. What do you think?

2. Should I add colors? Gradients?

3. What should I add/remove or how can I improve my logo?

Thank you for feedback.

post-51679-0-08619500-1486752802_thumb.png

post-51679-0-71387000-1486752803_thumb.png

post-51679-0-41316400-1486752805_thumb.png

post-51679-0-98989900-1486752806_thumb.png

post-51679-0-10254400-1486752808_thumb.png

I do think you should stick with the circle look. I like the idea of half an N inside. The circle in the fourth might be misinterpreted as an O, but why not have a D instead? The straight part of the D could be parallel to the slant of the N. Another idea is to have the third segment of the N actually form the circle and then stops at 9 O' Clock. That way, half the circle would also look like a D.

As for color, I say try different varieties but don't actually fill the circle in. If you fill in my first example assuming a boolean operation was used, the logo would look like a lowercase E. You could expand the stroke and add a dark outline while the expanded stroke is colored. 

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Another idea is to have the third segment of the N actually form the circle and then stops at 9 O' Clock. That way, half the circle would also look like a D.

I like that suggestion. It would also take care of the problem that the third segment is lost when the circle goes all the way around.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Nic727,

My favorites are the first and fourth.

You can write the N and D in the circle this way, I think they remain legible. It is up to you to see how to arrange this draft according to your wishes (thickness of the lines, pressure or not on them, colors, addition of symbols, presence or not of the circle at the back).

post-37692-0-38427900-1486759033_thumb.png

For me, your current logo's biggest problem is not that it is too simple. Logos should be simple.

The "N" is not elegant. Currently, it is sort of "rustic." Lumpy. Without other elements, can you make the "N" stand on its own? Refine and clarify it as much as you can, then try to blend it w. other elements.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I like that suggestion. It would also take care of the problem that the third segment is lost when the circle goes all the way around.

Thank you, Alfred!

You can write the N and D in the circle this way,

The N and D being warped in a circle shape is an interesting idea.

Nic, I'm also thinking it might be a neat idea to have the D play off some crescent shape.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I would like your advice on which one do you prefer, because I don't really know what to do... Also, if you have some suggestions to improve my logos, feel free to share them.

really difficult to make a cool design with those letters.

I prefer something circle since it's easier to put on a website 

Sorry, without knowing what you do, work, sell, think … and what the concept is, it doesn’t make sense to suggest something specific.

Not difficult to create logos with any letters for professionals. Please read a suitable book before you start, because the logo is the most important element of corporate design.

A cool blue would be cool for a cool logo and gradients are mostly not a good idea for logos.

Not a good idea to think about what fits on websites. Good idea to think about what fits to the things you do.

Sorry, without knowing what you do, work, sell, think … and what the concept is, it doesn’t make sense to suggest something specific.

Currently I'm student, but doing lot of things like Web, design, videos, 3D, etc.

I made more :

The last two logos I was testing some cool gradient colors too. My final version will certainly be white or black on the website, but in color for the favicon (same color as website).

Whatever, personally and I don't know about you, but number 3 and 4 look like a face and I appreciate the bigger N in number 6. It take more space and you can figure that a D is appearing with the curve of the N. What do you think?

I love number 2 too, but since the circle is not complete, I'm scare it will not look good on a website.

Number 7 I was just trying this plain background. I saw a lot of people portfolio with just a letter inside a square or circle as logo. Currently mine is an empty circle, but people are using filled shape.

Thank you again and thank you to the people making logos for me ;)

My inspiration first came from this guy : http://michaelacevedo.com/I love that is M is integrated into some mountains. I was trying to look at something "natural" like this for my logo, but a "N" is harder because a part is missing hahaha. My logo is not just about ND, but can be N alone too.

My other inspiration :

annular-eclipse.jpg

post-51679-0-78634500-1486783024_thumb.png

post-51679-0-36617500-1486783025_thumb.png

post-51679-0-97081300-1486783025_thumb.png

post-51679-0-48750000-1486783026_thumb.png

post-51679-0-99935400-1486783026_thumb.png

post-51679-0-50552200-1486783027_thumb.png

post-51679-0-05125900-1486783028_thumb.png

If you don’t make a concept, this will end in art and not something that is strong. Don’t think about what you like but what your clients need. One rule is that a logo is clear (because it must be understood quickly and survive between others). For example ask why a circle and is it really so much more important than N and D (D stands for your Name and Design and …). So why not a (rounded) rectangle that stands for the hardware (screens) you create things for? First: make a concept. What you want to communicate (show) with the logo and much later (second) play with the forms that communicate what you do/sell.

If you only want to work for clients that work in the natural area, then you could start with a technical font/glyphs for example and change it to a natural style.

Most of your drafts have filigree forms. Try it with more power/strength/thickness.

Ask (yourself/many people) what your new drafts (should) communicate (fashionable, dynamic, static, strong, thin, serious, …).

HTH a bit [corporate design is too complex to fit in this forum]

But client is myself... I'm making a logo for my own portfolio.

Does that matter? The question simply changes from "What area(s) do my clients work in?" to "What area(s) do I work in?" (and the latter should, at least in theory, be easier to answer).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Does that matter? The question simply changes from "What area(s) do my clients work in?" to "What area(s) do I work in?" (and the latter should, at least in theory, be easier to answer).

For me it still difficult since I'm doing lot of different things since I'm at school. Like I said, I'm doing web, design, video, 3d and now I have an internship as a E-Learning creator with Storyline. So hard to focus on one thing. I know that I really like making videos, but didn't make a lot yet. So for the moment my logo should be kind of general with an original touch which is what I'm trying to do.

My other inspiration :

annular-eclipse.jpg

I don't know how you made that effect, even with the outer and inner glows, but I like it.

My inspiration first came from this guy : http://michaelacevedo.com/I love that is M is integrated into some mountains. I was trying to look at something "natural" like this for my logo, but a "N" is harder because a part is missing hahaha. My logo is not just about ND, but can be N alone too.

What works in M. Acevedo's logo is that it is a simple visual pun. The M initial is associated w. mountain heights, with a pine trees like shape pointing with three upward arrow heads. In other words, Michael aims for peak excellence.  It does not specifically say anything about himself.

And it is immediately recognizable at a small scale because it is simple. It doesn't display very much technical facility, except for the crucial matter of economy of expression.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Currently I'm student, but doing lot of things like Web, design, videos, 3D, etc.

I made more :

The last two logos I was testing some cool gradient colors too. My final version will certainly be white or black on the website, but in color for the favicon (same color as website).

Whatever, personally and I don't know about you, but number 3 and 4 look like a face and I appreciate the bigger N in number 6. It take more space and you can figure that a D is appearing with the curve of the N. What do you think?

I love number 2 too, but since the circle is not complete, I'm scare it will not look good on a website.

Number 7 I was just trying this plain background. I saw a lot of people portfolio with just a letter inside a square or circle as logo. Currently mine is an empty circle, but people are using filled shape.

Thank you again and thank you to the people making logos for me ;)

My other inspiration :

annular-eclipse.jpg

1,2 & 6 I like the most :)

post-51788-0-28646800-1486883839_thumb.png

• 11 months later...

Hello again. Sorry to post in this topic again, but I changed idea.

My current logo was

logo1.png

But I after testing it in some webpage mockup, I realized that it was a bit weird on a webpage. The logo was fine, but the circle was mostly annoying because of being too tiny to really see it well on favicon or webpage. Also, I decided to re-think my website entirely to focus more on what I love instead of what other people want me to do. My website was a portfolio website, but since I didn't do much project to add in there, it was a bit dead. I don't have a lot of "spectacular" photography, but I'm thinking about adding some nice one and a blog features when travelling. That was also a reason to change logo since my older one doesn't fit as a watermark...

Here is what I thought could be nice. I just too the N from my name instead of ND and added a kind of camera lens. Colors are like that because I like travelling and it's a mix of forest, sea, sky, freedom, etc.

logo2.png

What are your thought about that?

I like your description and what inspired you to change your logo. That is certainly the attitude to have, and I like your commitment. I do, however, think the logo still needs touching up, but you're getting there. The O seems a bit out of place, and I don't really feel it flows (because you asked). Perhaps have vertical semi-transparent bars set behind connecting to the slanted bars. And/or, have an unattached crescent shape to the right of everything to form a D (if you still want to carry one). I do like the idea of having those slanted shapes than a circle.

Also, I decided to re-think my website entirely to focus more on what I love instead of what other people want me to do.

This is very important, and I think you should stick with how you see art. I feel a lot of genius people see more than what viewers gather, and therefor, they may expect more. Telling the story the right way is what matters. I say go for it.

18 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I like your description and what inspired you to change your logo. That is certainly the attitude to have, and I like your commitment. I do, however, think the logo still needs touching up, but you're getting there. The O seems a bit out of place, and I don't really feel it flows (because you asked). Perhaps have vertical semi-transparent bars set behind connecting to the slanted bars. And/or, have an unattached crescent shape to the right of everything to form a D (if you still want to carry one). I do like the idea of having those slanted shapes than a circle.

This is very important, and I think you should stick with how you see art. I feel a lot of genius people see more than what viewers gather, and therefor, they may expect more. Telling the story the right way is what matters. I say go for it.

Thank you very much.

The O was representing the camera lens, but what do you mean by "semi-transparent bars set behind connecting to the slanted bars"? I don't see how it can fit?

2.png

Or I keep the one with the circle hahaha!

I also had that one, but I didn't choose it.

3.png