You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

i want to make several linear  gradients on one mask from white to black like a natural viggnette.

For example when i make one linear gradient from the middle of the sheet to the upper left corner and than i want of the same mask one to the upper right corner then the first gradient to the upper left corner get lost.

How can I solve this problem.

• Staff

Hi jan.schadewitz,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The gradient tool doesn't let you add multiple gradients as in Photoshop but you can use multiple independent (vector) masks to build the effect you want - keeping control over all of the gradients independently. I've attached a sample file below. There's a red background layer so you can the the mask effect. The rest is all vector masks nested to an image layer. Each vector mask started as a shape to which i have applied a linear gradient. Instead of black and white (as in regular greyscale masks) here (with vector objects) the opacity is controlled by the opacity of each node of the gradient and not it's colour. Then i've dragged them over the thumbnail of the image in the layers panel to use them as masks. To adjust/control the gradient, select the Gradient Tool, click over the thumbnail of the mask in the Layers panel and adjust the gradient handles on canvas (you can also click the colour well in the context toolbar for more options). Note that i've applied an elliptical gradient to one of the masks. You can mix them all as you see fit. To create a traditional (elliptical) vignette effect you can use a single mask with an elliptical gradient instead.

multiple_masks.afphoto

Hi MEB,

thank you for the fast answer and the example file. Thats a good and simpel compensation for the funktion "add multiple gradients as in Photoshop". :)

I have a additional question for a gradient.

When I use geometrical forms for a mask and i want to have a gradient from the smaller form to the bigger form.

The form looks like a window with round arcs.

How can i make this?

Hi MEB,

thank you for the fast answer and the example file. Thats a good and simpel compensation for the funktion "add multiple gradients as in Photoshop". :)

I have a additional question for a gradient.

When I use geometrical forms for a mask and i want to have a gradient from the smaller form to the bigger form.

The form looks like a window with round arcs.

How can i make this?

If that is a simple answer it is time I gave up!

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

• 3 weeks later...

The gradient tool doesn't let you add multiple gradients as in Photoshop but you can use multiple independent (vector) masks to build the effect you want - keeping control over all of the gradients independently. [.....]

Hum !  why make it simple when one can make it complicated ?  Is there no hope to get a more comprehensive gradient tool in future AP versions ?

That said, the process described by MEB can be modified  and even simplified at various levels :

—   the gradient tool can be applied after the creation of vector masks rather than before ;

—   instead of  repeating four times the process of creating a vector layer, then applying a gradient to it and transforming it into a vector mask, one can save time by doing it only once, then making 3 copies of the resulting vector mask  (by CTRL/CMD + J) and finally editing the gradients in the 3 copies. One also escapes the detestable reset of the gradient tool whenever it is applied to a new layer.

—   Instead of  calling the Rectangle Tool first, I find it simpler to create a new empty pixel layer just above the layer to be partly masked and then to apply the Mask To Below contextual menu to it. Surprisingly, even from a pixel layer, this creates a vector mask. Then, as above, apply  the relevant gradient to it, duplicate 3 times, and so on.

—   Finally, one can give up the vector masks if one also gives up the reeditable gradients. Simply open 4 pixel masks and write the relevant gradients in them. Beware, the transparency can then be obtained by depositing either black with 100% opacity or any color with 0% opacity ; attention must be paid to both colors and opacities.  Obviously, if the gradient is not satisfactory it must be completely rewritten. Also, one must cope with the systematic reset of the tool when one passes from a mask to another one.

Anyway, many thanks for this instructive example. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Relative newbie. Just watched videos on use of Gradients. I have copied the steps shown but the picture I am doing it for never shows back up. It just stays 

the colors I selected. Sure this is very basic just can't find a solution and the videos don't show this.

Also as a side issue I can never find where to make a new post, any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

dem

• 2 months later...

Hi,

A new affinity user and been trying to find information on why this tool is not intuitive to use when I want to use it repetitively. Are there plans or another way to apply this effect without getting that gyro to pop up. I simply want to gradient (with transparency) a section of the image, then move into another section fast as I tend to do it a lot to enhance certain spots on the image.

I miss this feature from Photoshop, I love affinity Photo but this is one feature I miss the most.

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi chillyguess,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm not sure i understood what you want to achieve but go to menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer and apply a gradient to it. To set one of the colours to transparent select the corresponding node in the gradient handle on canvas go to the Colour panel and set the Opacity for that colour to 0%. Duplicate the fill layer and adjust the gradient if you need more. There's no way to apply successive (overlapping) gradients to a single fill/pixel layer in Affinity. 

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

I don't know, if this is the right place. But I couldn't find a thread that adresses my question, which is simply: How can I willingly "creat" the kind of handles seen in the photo below. The gradient is made in APub.

Any respond is greatly appriciated.

Opacity gradient.png

This occurs when you apply a gradient on an object then skew the object and then reselect the "gradient" tool again

It also occurs with the Transparency Tool

51 minutes ago, iconey said:

I don't know, if this is the right place. But I couldn't find a thread that adresses my question,

You do not have to add your question to an existing thread - just make a new post - unless you specifically want to comment on something in an existing thread

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.