You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I've had Affinity for about a week now and as an /affordable/ piece of software, I am loving it. Also bringing back memories of work experience several years ago at Wilford industrial estate... ;) but anyway, on to the problem....

Having a little bit of trouble with the full justify option - it just doesn't do anything attractive for my layout at all. Expecting it to space out my words nicely stretching across the full width of the frame and instead it's just adding a massive gap between the last two in the text frame! Not sure if there are settings to correct this or if the tool simply doesn't work as expected. Can anyone clarify what's going on with this one?

Thanks.

Hi helirose,

To avoid the big differences in the last line when the total justification of your text (if that's your question), you can expand the menu by clicking the arrow to the right of "All justify" in the toolbar Contextual. This gives you the choice between several options (right, left, center in addition to total).

post-37692-0-29273000-1486744761_thumb.png

Hi helirose,

To avoid the big differences in the last line when the total justification of your text (if that's your question), you can expand the menu by clicking the arrow to the right of "All justify" in the toolbar Contextual. This gives you the choice between several options (right, left, center in addition to total).

Thanks, I'd already tried those, though. I want the text fully justified but evenly, not with one huge gap on the right and everything else clumped up together.

Perhaps by regulating the approach on the whole text, I see no other solution.

If you have several text frames, the effect may not be very aesthetic if their last lines are very different.

post-37692-0-33624300-1486745720_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi helirose,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

What you are looking for is hyphenation settings to control justified type. Currently Affinity apps don't offer hyphenation controls, only justification so it's not easy to get the result you are looking for.

This is one of the features that will be introduced in Publisher later.

Hi helirose,

What you are looking for is hyphenation settings to control justified type. Currently Affinity apps don't offer hyphenation controls, only justification so it's not easy to get the result you are looking for.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for the information.

I would like this feature to be brought to AD as well. We sometimes need to take special care of the framed text presentation and it would really help us.

Unfortunately I do not believe it because it seems that at the level of the text everything will be done for Publisher and AD will remain the poor relative with fewer possibilities.

Hi reglico,

I said it will be introduced in Publisher because this is a fundamental feature for text heavy projects. It may end ported back to Designer as well since it's also needed there, but that's up with the dev teams.

I agree with you about Publisher and I hope that AD will also benefit from it in a future release, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just like to post an update;

Thanks for all the replies, I definitely didn't need hyphenation. Sorry I couldn't show an example but the piece I was working on was my CV and the trouble was on personal information. I ended up just working around my problem, separating the single line of text into sections and positioning them manually. I haven't had any problem with justification since so perhaps it was just a one-off quirk.

• 1 year later...

After messing around with the min/normal/max settings on the letter and word justification, I was able to get the result I was looking for but it took a long time. The issue I was having was the letter justification. Would be nice if the standard set up was -25% / 0 / 25% instead of 0% / 0% /0%

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/10/2017 at 8:23 PM, MEB said:

Hi helirose,

It has been almost 3 years already and justification settings are still not good enough.

40 minutes ago, obiobik said:

It has been almost 3 years already and justification settings are still not good enough.

Which application are you using, and what problem are you having?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @obiobik,
This thread is quite old and there was quite a few changes since then. Can you post an example of the issue(s) you are experiencing/having? Publisher is already out and offer more control over text than Designer. What application are you using?

38 minutes ago, obiobik said:

MEB said this will be introduced in APublisher and this is already done. So what do you need else / further?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Sorry for all. I had to be more specific when pointing out an issue. I have mistakenly read that I am in the Publisher section. 

The issue concerns me is in Publisher, justification settings are not efficient enough as in the Indesign. 

In the justification settings the app does not allow me to give minus value to the "Desired Letter Space". It just stands as 0 px. So I cannot achieve a nice justified left paragraph.

@MEB

@Joachim_L

@walt.farrell

9 minutes ago, obiobik said:

In the justification settings the app does not allow me to give minus value to the "Desired Letter Space". It just stands as 0 px. So I cannot achieve a nice justified left paragraph.

I am not sure why you desperately need a negative desired letter space for a justified left paragraph, but this is possible.

desired-letter-spacing.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

12 minutes ago, obiobik said:

Oh god, I mistakenly added new comment. Is there any way to delete?

You can hide it under "Options" at the bottom of the comment.

------

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I am not sure why you desperately need a negative desired letter space for a justified left paragraph, but this is possible.

Thanks for the answer but in my justification settings, it writes 0 px. It is not percentage value which I don't know why. Am I doing something wrong?

55380832_ScreenShot2021-01-07at18_13_50.jpg.1ee92de46847d87d2527c40d0c833814.jpg

3 minutes ago, obiobik said:

Am I doing something wrong?

Good question, looks different for me on Windows. Maybe you should post this on the bug section for Mac. Or reset your application (backup first).

------