You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affinity-Team,

I have just downloaded the affinity photo demo (for Windows), watched some tutorials and tried a little bit for myself and have some questions.

I like to take photos of starry landscapes like the ones I attached to this post. Now to reduce noise I'd like to stack them for which I am currently using a combination of Hugin for alignment and Image Magick to stack them. I let these tools create two stacked images one of the static foreground and one of the aligned background, after that I currently use Gimp to load both images and take only the sky portion of the aligned and stacked image for the final images sky and the stacked image without aligning for the foreground.

I tried to convert this complete workflow to affinity photo using the "New stack" function. Unfortunately the program always aligns the images (I use a stack of 32x20 second exposures) using the trees in the foreground which leads to a blurry sky without any stars visible. Is there a way of alternating this behavior?

I thought about (and tried) loading the images as stack, ungroup them, applying a layer mask which leaves only the stars visible and then regroup them using 'Arrange > Live Stack Group', however this doesn't (re-)align my images and the result is the same as when loading the images as stack.

Is there any possibility for me to support my workflow in affinity photo, or is anything planned for future releases?

Greetings and thanks in advance.

post-51709-0-48571700-1486722543_thumb.jpg

post-51709-0-23526500-1486722544_thumb.jpg

I've successfully tried the following: 

1. Open a picture (raw or 32bit tif) and apply a mask which leaves only the sky visible

2. Safe the picture as 32bit tif

3. Copy the layer mask

As the images were taken using a tripod, the foreground remains always at the same position throughout all the pictures. Thus I can apply the layer mask copied before to each of the images repeating steps one and two.

After all sky-tifs are available i can create an new stack from them which leads to a perfectly aligned and noise-reduced sky - the process for the foreground is analog.

Now: Is there any possibility for me to automate the process I described before? I think of a way creating one layer-mask and then running a macro that does all the repeating for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Now: Is there any possibility for me to automate the process I described before? I think of a way creating one layer-mask and then running a macro that does all the repeating for me.

You could record a Macro of you creating the mask and then use this Macro with the Batch Job... feature to apply the mask to several images and save them to 32 bit tif :)

• Staff

Hi SmilingJ,

Would you mind to upload/share one example (source images) for me to try to replicate/test this workflow here?

You said you have ungrouped the image stack, tried to apply a mask then regroup it using a Live Stack Group and it didn't worked.

I would like to experiment/try a few things and a real example/source files would help like the example you posted above.

The files are only for personal use/testing and will be deleted afterwards.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi SmilingJ,

Yes, only a few moments ago (after you started uploading) i realised they were more than i thought - although you said they were 32 (!) on your first post - i forgot about it when i post the request.

Again, thank you so much for the effort. I will check them out tomorrow/this weekend.

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2017 at 4:12 PM, MEB said:

Hi SmilingJ,

Yes, only a few moments ago (after you started uploading) i realised they were more than i thought - although you said they were 32 (!) on your first post - i forgot about it when i post the request.

Again, thank you so much for the effort. I will check them out tomorrow/this weekend.

Is this a dead end or how do I find out what happened "tomorrow/this weekend?"