You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which units for both print and web?

I'm new to Affinity Designer, and to vector graphics in general, so sorry if my question seems stupid.

So far I created only graphics for the web, mostly images and illustrations for web sites and social network. Since I needed several versions of the same design, I used a lot the "artboard" feature of Designer to keep all my work together, and set my document unit to pixels.

Now I'm asked to design both a banner for the web and a poster that will be printed.

So my doubt: how should I set units to keep all my work in the same document? 

Should I use px or mm? 

thanks in advance for any suggestion,

gerlos

I'm new to Affinity Designer, and to vector graphics in general, so sorry if my question seems stupid.

So far I created only graphics for the web, mostly images and illustrations for web sites and social network. Since I needed several versions of the same design, I used a lot the "artboard" feature of Designer to keep all my work together, and set my document unit to pixels.

Now I'm asked to design both a banner for the web and a poster that will be printed.

So my doubt: how should I set units to keep all my work in the same document? 

Should I use px or mm? 

thanks in advance for any suggestion,

gerlos

for poster, set it to mm mostly cause I'd been using mm when i was at a company and we'd too printing work. However, for web, I'd recommend pixels always.

If everything in your designs are pure vectors, it won't matter which units you work with because vector objects are resolution independent -- they scale to any size without loss of sharpness.

Also, for web sites, it is usual to export to a raster format like jpeg, & the units you work with in Affinity won't matter. What will is the number of pixels in the exported image -- more is better but increases file size & thus download time, so you will have to balance the two, based on the amount of the web page the image will occupy.

Something similar applies to printed output: unless you are printing directly from Affinity, you will need to export the document to some file format the printer can use. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7