You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Trial - PSD import issues

Hello,

I've downloaded the Affinity Designer's trial for Windows and am testing it.
Basically, I've imported a PSD (created from Photoshop CS6) to check how AD handles Adobe files (I'm Webdesigner, if I go on AD, I'll have to receive PSD files from other designers and use them into AD, so the import feature is important to me).

I'd like to point out some issues.

I don't know if the Trial version is a complete or a light one. This could explain the issues...

• Texts converted into pixels : the texts from my PSD can't be edited anymore. They seem to be pixel shapes.
  • Missing background pattern : I had a background pattern in my PSD, but disappeared in AD. I can't even find where to edit a background pattern (nothing around the Effects).

That's all for now. :)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Ecorce. :)

I don't know if the Trial version is a complete or a light one. This could explain the issues...

• Texts converted into pixels : the texts from my PSD can't be edited anymore. They seem to be pixel shapes.
  • Missing background pattern : I had a background pattern in my PSD, but disappeared in AD. I can't even find where to edit a background pattern (nothing around the Effects).

The trial version should be functionally the same as the full one.

Rasterizing text from a PSD is the default setting. The idea is that this ensures the text will look correct if you don't need to edit it, and if you do need to edit it you'll notice (as you did) that there's a problem; if the text were imported as text but the font was missing, it wouldn't look correct but you might not notice. To change the behaviour, go to 'Edit > Preferences... > General' and put a tick in the checkbox labelled 'Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap'.

I don't know the answer to your question about background patterns.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

While it doesn't have background patterns function yet, maybe you can replace that with the following steps: create a shape, select the Fill tool, in the Type category drop down on the context toolbar select Bitmap and load an image and use the handles to scale / align it. You will need to have an tileable image similar to your imported background pattern from Ps.

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672