You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ladies and Gentlemen - can anyone lead me to a source that will explain ALL the features of Affinity Photo.  I'm having absolutely no luck picking this software up and I have had for about 2 months.  I know Affinity is supposed to be coming out with a training manual of some sort (don't know when) but it's like anything else, will it be worth the money.

I work in Lightroom mostly but lately have been using On1 Photo RAW for additional editing.  On1 has been pretty easy to learn.  My preference would be to learn Affinity as I believe it will be closer to Photoshop that On1.

Can anyone give some guidance.  I'm quite confused.

Best regards

Gary Hunt

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

Hi, Gary,

My suggestion would be to 1st review all of Affinity's own video tutorials. Then visit youtube. I just looked, and there are about 49000 vids linked to the query "Affinity Photo."

Maybe dip into the 1st hundred or so.

There are quite a few fine Photo users who post to the forum. Some have created their own tutorials. Perhaps if you posed some simple specific questions, the answers would get you a foothold.

Image processing is a huge topic, and many aspects are quite subtle Consider using Wikipedia, and searching "digital image processing," and "image editing" for an overview.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

My opinion is that Affinity Photo is not as easy as Photoshop. Many operations are more convoluted and many work flow ideas are meant to serve just one approach to a certain problem. Photoshop is more basic. Still, AP can be used for first rate results.

Photoshop is anything but basic. I doubt that anyone with no familiarity with either PS or AP would find either one easy to use without spending a lot of time studying the help topics, videos, & other educational materials intended for that purpose. (If not, why does so much of it exist?)

I believe it is more that a lot of people have been using Photoshop for many years, have forgotten how long it took them to become familiar with it, & now that they are they find it difficult to adapt to an app that does not use the same terminology or UI.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7