You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[A.Des]Will alternate glyphs/glyph selection be included in the text features roadmap?

Hi,

I know a glyph selector has been requested a lot, but surprisingly it doesn't seem to be

considered much of a priority. Is it already possible to select alternate characters, or

will glyphs be included with "Text features" in the current Designer roadmap?

Loving the apps, and excited for what's to come :)

J.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

are there news on this by any chance, MEB? It's been over a year now and I think it's a function that's pretty
relevant and convenient – also looking at Publisher in the works, where this will get quite important!

Scroll to endless glyphs to in search for the "alternating L" glyphs is quite the pain and time consuming. :58_disappointed_relieved:

cloudbusting: you might want to add some more tags to this post so it get's found more easily. :10_wink:

Greetings
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

48 minutes ago, MrDoodlezz said:

Hey guys,

are there news on this by any chance, MEB? It's been over a year now and I think it's a function that's pretty
relevant and convenient – also looking at Publisher in the works, where this will get quite important!

Scroll to endless glyphs to in search for the "alternating L" glyphs is quite the pain and time consuming. :58_disappointed_relieved:

The current apps do have a Glyph Browser (View > Studio > Glyph Browser) or do you mean something else?

glyph.jpg.12de45e338f2892d85a6c94c0f37b46d.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

42 minutes ago, toltec said:

The current apps do have a Glyph Browser (View > Studio > Glyph Browser) or do you mean something else?

glyph.jpg.12de45e338f2892d85a6c94c0f37b46d.jpg

Hey toltec,

right, the glyphs browser is there – but the functionality is kinda missing right now. :35_thinking:

What’s the searchfield good for anyway? I thought I could just type a letter and get alternates.
Instead something else happens, the glyphs shuffle a bit, but I can’t figure out how that’s supposed to help.
Does anyone know what’s it about?

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

From my experience I have found the search field searches in the name of the letter.  So searching for an A will return most everything as a name like LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z has an A in it  But a search for CAPITAL LETTER A will find the all the varieties of capitol A's.  Also a search can be done using the unicode seeing as that's also in the name.  But I get some weird results on that.  A search for an 09 gives the unicode f909 and fa09 but not all the other possibilities.  Typing in a u+0045 shows all characters but highlights the E.  But a u+004 just shows all characters.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

The Glyph Browser works quite well for basic fonts, but it falls short if you're trying to search for alternates where the glyph names may not be obvious. And the 'Largest Size' option on the Glyph Browser panel menu isn't always large enough to let the user see the various glyphs clearly, especially with the dark UI mode which is currently the only one available in Affinity Publisher beta.

APub_1-7_Glyph-Browser.png.7d25b8148b3026b4d24d2ffeca67518b.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

19 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

The Glyph Browser works quite well for basic fonts, but it falls short if you're trying to search for alternates where the glyph names may not be obvious. And the 'Largest Size' option on the Glyph Browser panel menu isn't always large enough to let the user see the various glyphs clearly, especially with the dark UI mode which is currently the only one available in Affinity Publisher beta.

APub_1-7_Glyph-Browser.png.7d25b8148b3026b4d24d2ffeca67518b.png

Hmmm … the the glyphs palette with dark UI active is actually another good point.
Just now I realized that the glyphs palette content is inverted as well! :42_confused:

I don’t think that's a good idea at all, you may work with an overall dark UI while still designing a white product with dark colored type – why would I want to see white glyphs on a grey background? That’s kind of distracting and doesn’t really support work. On the other hand … maybe it doesn't really matter, because it could also be the other way around. Still it’s an strange choice to handle the »dark theme« and especially this palette.

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

22 hours ago, Gear maker said:

From my experience I have found the search field searches in the name of the letter.  So searching for an A will return most everything as a name like LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z has an A in it  But a search for CAPITAL LETTER A will find the all the varieties of capitol A's.  Also a search can be done using the unicode seeing as that's also in the name.  But I get some weird results on that.  A search for an 09 gives the unicode f909 and fa09 but not all the other possibilities.  Typing in a u+0045 shows all characters but highlights the E.  But a u+004 just shows all characters.

Oh, I see, thanks for the explanation!

It implies that you need to know the exact characters name or unicode? For the whole font, for all styles and width? For all fonts in my library? :7_sweat_smile:

Wow, can it get any less intuitive and confusing?
Sure it could be worse … still.