Mark Ingram

Affinity Designer - 1.5.2

112 posts in this topic

Click here to download the latest release

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid Affinity Designer product key.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Changed 'Affinity Files' to be more specific when saving an image
  • Fixed crash when adding Curves Adjustment
  • Fixed Blend Mode dropdown doesn't update on context toolbar when set via a brush
  • Fixed crash when unhiding UI after closing document
  • Fixed several issues in the new welcome screen
  • Fixed scrolling in a selected text field with the mouse wheel doesn't update colour on document
  • Fixed Keyboard Shortcuts not being saved if focus is lost from dialog
  • Fixed Blend Mode dropdown doesn't update on context toolbar when set via a brush
  • Fixed crash when saving keyboard profile
  • Fixed aspect ratio is disabled for a curve
  • Fixed Erase Brush Tool Drag + Alt does not display colour picker  
  • Removed Freehand Selection 'Close Line'
  • Fixed Opacity is the default slider in the gradient fill dropdown menu
  • Fixed Layer panel jumps/lags with a long layer name
  • Added New Welcome Screen
  • Fixed Info panel loupe remains stuck to cursor if interrupted during use
  • Fixed pasting text from Word is added as groups of Artistic Text objects
  • Fixed being unable to set Language: None in the Edit Text Style dialog
  • Fixed Corner type dropdown on context bar not updating when we select objects with different corner types
  • Fixed Levels Dialog, Color channel reverts to master when altering sliders
  • Fixed crashing on custom keyboard shortcuts (primarily Pixel Persona)
  • Fixed Custom keyboard shortcut for Recolour Adjustment is broken
  • Fixed DPI being shown as points for PDF & EPS export
  • Fixed Pen Tool crash due to settings change in previous beta
  • Fixed Adding, Renaming or Deleting an export preset doesn't update the UI straight away
  • Removed 'Accumulation' from Erase Brush Tool context bar
  • Fixed black area left when app is restarted after hiding the UI with floating panels
  • Fixed Levels adjustment using alt modifier not working
  • Fixed create palette from image being greyed out if accessed before a document is created or opened
  • Fixed invalid scaling sizes not immediately reverted in Slices Panel
  • Fixed Zoom tool unable to enter value above 500 on context toolbar
  • Fixed changing document with a Layer Effects will apply it to the second image
  • Fixed being unable to import if no asset categories
  • Fixed Symbols not snapping immediately when you drag them from the Symbols panel
  • Added remaining variables to input boxes in the transform panel
  • Fixed JPG compression changes from 85 to 100 when changing file format
  • Attempted fix for crash with multiple files open
  • Fixed clicking on Fill Popup button on context toolbar changes fill on selection
  • Changed View ▸ Show Grid: new document view grid visibility is independent from the original document grid visibility setting
  • Fixed AltGr so it can be used in place of Ctrl+Alt shortcuts
  • Fixed cannot apply a colour picked swatch by clicking on the pipette
  • Fixed Gradient Type not updating
  • Fixed Typography panel "Show all font features" includes features that the font doesn't support
  • Fixed Add New Filter Assistant Option to default to child layer
  • Fixed crash changing text background colour
  • Fixed Paragraph panel letter spacing has wrong lower limit
  • Fixed Pen/Pencil Tool's 'Use Fill' checkbox not being saved if the tool is not selected when the application is closed down
  • Fixed adjusting colour opacity with scroll wheel does not update object
  • Fixed slider revert to opacity then changing colour space in the colour flyout
  • Fixed crash clicking on "no fill" on layer effects
  • Fixed crash when opening a 32-bit Greyscale file
  • Fixed changing the colour mode of the Levels adjustment doesn't refresh the component dropdown
  • Fixed Crop Tool not showing currently selected preset
  • Performance improvement when panning
  • Fixed 'Failed to reset brushes' error in Preferences
  • Fixed Help not launching
  • Fixed renaming a palette selects a different fill
  • Fixed being unable to change Character Panel 'Positioning and Transform' values using keyboard
  • Improved startup and shutdown performance
  • Changed pixel display zoom to match physical pixels
  • Fixed crash when clicking Properties for some Printers
  • Fixed scrolling a value in the transform panel giving a different value if it has focus
  • Fixed incorrect Export Brush dialog filter
  • Allow selection of locked nodes in Wireframe view mode
  • Fixed PDF Import of some bitmaps resulting in incorrect colours (wasn't using colour conversion)
  • Changed OpenType to relax version check for "Coiny"
  • Fixed OpenType applying of contextual rules,  we were advancing past the lookaheads too
  • Added several performance improvements
  • Improved application start time
  • Fixed crash when using cursor keys to feather a selection
  • Fixed Selection Brush resize shortcuts not updating the context toolbar values
  • Fixed mouse wheel on opacity edit not applying
  • Fixed Retina Rendering Performance Preference (it was always doing a two-pass render for the high quality only option)
  • Fixed Layers panel not updating when switching documents with a live filter open
  • Fixed Unlinked / Separate Grid line and Subdivision line colours are not remembered
  • Fixed being unable to re-apply the last applied snapshot
  • Changed "Save With History" to prevent silent save back to JPEG, etc
  • Fixed crash when clicking the swatch in Edit > Matte
  • Fixed crashes when opening SVGs with no bounding boxes
  • Fixed Help search results not displaying if temp path contains non-ASCII characters
  • Distinguish between beta and normal builds in Explorer's "Open With" menu
  • Fixed failing to select a word when right-clicking on the text caret
  • Fixed being unable to interact with Transform panel when you draw out a marquee
  • Fixed Colour Chooser not retaining the last type you were on
  • Fixed Grid and Axis Manager not reflecting the currently selected artboard
  • Improved support for badly formed PSD files
  • Fixed crash when embedding a rotated document
  • Fixed Help window covering the taskbar when maximised
  • Fixed status bar to always be visible if any UI is visible when toggling studio UI
  • Fixed Create palette from image when changing number of colours and then creating a palette without first previewing
  • Fixed wrong History item icon
  • Fixed PDF export overprinting on fills and lines
  • Fixed crash in Xara Designer Pro when copying EMFs then pasting into Affinity Designer
  • Fixed Tolerance on flood select tool does not update when dragging
  • Fixed hang when clicking and dragging a font in the font list
  • Installer: Added supported file types to Explorer's "Open With" menu
  • Fixed application not appearing in Explorer's "Open With" menu
  • Fixed Alignment tools breaking after customizing the toolbar
  • Fixed loading TIFF files as RAW from OnOne
  • Fixed PSD 32-bit mask
  • Changed HSL based adjustments to use more precision
  • Fixed releasing Alt when dragging a Levels Adjustment slider doesn't revert the image
  • Fixed performance problems when creating multiple views of the same document
  • Fixed Outer shadow rendering
  • Added missing Colour picker from Bevel / Emboss layer effect
  • Fixed Increase/Decrease Brush Size shortcuts are not retained when the application is restarted
  • Fixed loading images with EXIF DPI set to 1
  • Added Create Palette from Image
  • Fixed Save is not initially disabled with an unmodified file
  • Improved handling of Type 3 fonts (which still aren't supported)

When i downloaded the new update and put in my email and product key it says it is incorrect, I have triple checked it and they are both write. I have even pasted both of them straight from my account. Can you help me please?

jpires likes this

Hello, 

I have been waiting for this update since the last update. I was hoping that the issues that I have will be fixed. 

I don't know where in your priority list are these problems but I would really wonder if they would be too low. 

Do you plan to fix the Symbols feature ? (this thing is broken really really bad) 

I still have this long lags (up to 10 second freeze) that happens all the time with no obvious reasons or actions.

Like every few minutes irregularly starting something .. it could be anything from scrolling, zooming, selecting to transforming objects .. It's soo annoying that I cannot really work with the project. It is strongly related to complexity of the document. It happens less on smaller documents (lags are shorter). Funny thing is that everything works smoothly (same actions and operations) .. but at some point boom .. freeze.

I use Symbols feature for various logo variations and alike. And many times I have a symbols within symbols and this is when it all breaks down .. If this is not going to be fixed I will have to give up and transform all the symbols to regular objects. Unfortunately this will make a lot of extra work for me since I will have to change every single instance everytime. This instancing feature is very powerful and I really would like to see this working. 

Thank you anyways for amazing piece of software.

Best Regards,

Andrej

When i downloaded the new update and put in my email and product key it says it is incorrect, I have triple checked it and they are both write. I have even pasted both of them straight from my account. Can you help me please?

Perhaps because you bought Affinity Photo on the 29th January, and this is an update for Affinity Designer. The Affinity Photo software will tell you when there is an update for itself when it runs. I cannot see an Affinity Designer purchase against your account (from your email address).

LyricsGirl likes this

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Hello, 

I have been waiting for this update since the last update. I was hoping that the issues that I have will be fixed. 

I don't know where in your priority list are these problems but I would really wonder if they would be too low. 

Do you plan to fix the Symbols feature ? (this thing is broken really really bad) 

I still have this long lags (up to 10 second freeze) that happens all the time with no obvious reasons or actions.

Like every few minutes irregularly starting something .. it could be anything from scrolling, zooming, selecting to transforming objects .. It's soo annoying that I cannot really work with the project. It is strongly related to complexity of the document. It happens less on smaller documents (lags are shorter). Funny thing is that everything works smoothly (same actions and operations) .. but at some point boom .. freeze.

I use Symbols feature for various logo variations and alike. And many times I have a symbols within symbols and this is when it all breaks down .. If this is not going to be fixed I will have to give up and transform all the symbols to regular objects. Unfortunately this will make a lot of extra work for me since I will have to change every single instance everytime. This instancing feature is very powerful and I really would like to see this working. 

Thank you anyways for amazing piece of software.

Best Regards,

Andrej

Hi,

I have the same problem with lags in Designer. It's indeed very annoying. With "complex" files it slows down your workflow.

Regards,

Huub

Installed the update and I see quite a few issues I reported were fixed, thank you!  :lol:

However in Pixel preview (regular and retina) the offset of the artboard position still occurs and it makes it almost impossible to work with detailed pixel UI work.  :(

I see that "Changed pixel display zoom to match physical pixels" seems to fix this pratically, but the artboard still nudges around to different places with every different zoom level and it affects the Export Persona.

I believe this is a breaking issue and should be looked upon soon.

Thanks for all the hard work and to the beta testers as well!

post-43463-0-98495400-1486666788_thumb.png

After downloading the update this morning, I'm now getting an Unhandled Exeption error. The error reads:

An Unhandled Exception has occurred and the application cannot continue. The Crash Reporter will be displayed after the application exits. Code: 0x80004003

I've also attached a screenshot.

affinity_error.png

Now THAT is the list of fixes I like to see! Thanks a lot! Installed without issues. I have already sent new labels for my clients product exported from this version so... I hope it works all good :D
You have further improved performance? Performance was why I bought it in a first place. Nice job.

NilsFinken likes this

After downloading the update this morning, I'm now getting an Unhandled Exeption error. The error reads:

An Unhandled Exception has occurred and the application cannot continue. The Crash Reporter will be displayed after the application exits. Code: 0x80004003

I've also attached a screenshot.

Can you zip up the contents of %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\ and back them up, then try removing this folder to see if it fixes it? If it does, can you attach the zip file (or upload to dropbox and share a link) so that we can investigate?

webyonder likes this

Thanks for the impressive list of fixes, but for those of us using the 'Smaller' (100%) display setting the crosshair in the Artboard and Text Tools cursors has regressed to being all but invisible against the default dark grey background.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.5.3.69, beta 1.6.0.85)Affinity Photo (1.5.2.69, beta 1.6.0.85) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.5 iOS 11.0.2 (iPad Air 2)

Hi

I cannot install the new version.  I keep getting the same message, see attached.  I have restarted my machine and tried again but no luck.  I am using Windows 10 and currently have 1.5.1.43 installed

I have tried downloading a 2nd and 3rd time, but not luck.

thanks

Mike

post-43907-0-47010400-1486745223_thumb.jpg

I cannot install the new version.  I keep getting the same message, see attached.  I have restarted my machine and tried again but no luck.  I am using Windows 10 and currently have 1.5.1.43 installed

I have tried downloading a 2nd and 3rd time, but not luck.

When you right-click the file and choose 'Properties' from the context menu, what file size do you see reported on the General tab in the Properties dialog? It should be 252 MB (265,226,512 bytes).

There should also be a Digital Signatures tab if the download is complete (and if there is, you can use it to check whether or not the download is corrupt).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.5.3.69, beta 1.6.0.85)Affinity Photo (1.5.2.69, beta 1.6.0.85) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Mike999, can you try to uninstall the old version and let me know if that is successful, or if you get the same error?

Also as Alfred points out, double check the download isn't corrupt :)

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi

thanks for the 2 responses.  Re Alfred's comment, yes it is 252 MB and there is a digital signatures tab with 2 entries.

I will try to uninstall and install the new version and give an update.

thanks

HI

I cannot uninstall my current version through the control panel.  I get the same error, missing affinity.msi   I have done a search on my drive and I do not seem to have this file.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

love-sietspl likes this

HI

I cannot uninstall my current version through the control panel.  I get the same error, missing affinity.msi   I have done a search on my drive and I do not seem to have this file.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Weird, because for me there was no reason to uninstall it first. Just close the application and run the new installer. That will do, otherwise just reinstall Windows 10 ;)

HI

I was trying to uninstall the old version as the new one will not install.  Is there a way to get the missing affinity.msi file?

thanks

You might have to repair/reinstall the old version before you can uninstall it. If you don't still have a copy of the installer, you should be able to download it again via the link in Mark Ingram's OP.

Alfred online2long.gif

Hi 

Thanks for that suggestion but none of the previous installs work either.  Every version keeps looking for this .msi file when starting the install which is not on my system.  Same when I try to uninstall it, the app looks for the .msi file.

MIke