You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unfortunately, nothing jumps out at me as an obvious cause for your issue. About the only thing I can suggest is to start looking at the launch agents & daemons with older date stamps (like 2014 or older) & making sure they are up to date, compatible with Sierra, & still needed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think I've found something.

Just for kicks, I removed the entire Plug-in folder and placed it on my desktop, restarted Photo and wala! I now have Tools again. So, something is amiss with using my Photoshop plug-ins. I will try gradually adding them back in to see if I can find the culprit.

Feeling better now :)

What a saga! 

Now, to have real fun, reload each plug-in and see which one hijacks Affinity's UI. Erm, no, probably not so much fun :wacko:

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Can anyone guide me to the proper setup of Plug-ins? When I choose show default plugin folder in Affinity I get quite a long path, which doesn't seem right.

Like this:  User/Library/Containers/Com.Seriflabs.Affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/Plugins

This just doesn't seem right.

Can anyone guide me to the proper setup of Plug-ins? When I choose show default plugin folder in Affinity I get quite a long path, which doesn't seem right.

Like this:  User/Library/Containers/Com.Seriflabs.Affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/Plugins

This just doesn't seem right.

That path seems just fine to me.

I don't have Photo, but from what I've read on the forum, most Photoshop plugins are recognized, but not all work, or work quite right.

Anyone out there w. plugins that are working. What's in your directory  "User/Library/Containers/Com.Seriflabs.Affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/Plugins"?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The correct default plugin folder path should be:

/Users/{your user name}/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/Plugins

where {your user name} will be the short user name for your account, the same name as the "House" icon shows.

This is a per user path, meaning every user account has its own Library/Containers folder.

There are also potentially other plug-in folders in other locations; in fact, it is likely that most of your plug-ins are not in the default one. See for example, this post for some basic info about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Anyone out there w. plugins that are working. What's in your directory  "User/Library/Containers/Com.Seriflabs.Affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/Plugins"?

There is no "User/Library/" folder. There is a Users folder (note the plural) which minimally should contain a Guest & Shared folder plus one folder for each user account. Each user account folder will have its own Library folder (hidden by default in recent OS X versions), & in that Library folder will be a Containers folder.

Don't confuse this Library folder with the root level one or the one in the System folder -- they are all different. To specify the path to the current user's Library folder, you can use the shorthand prefix "~/Library" because the tilde & slash are the UNIX equivalent for that.

Affinity Photo 

Slowly but surely.

I have dropped two plugins into the default plugins folder (see long path above), Portraiture, and Focus Magic. In Affinity Prefs, the plugin search folder window is empty, and the plugin support folder window is set to "/"

Those two plugins are currently working and no other issues so far.