You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My tools are all missing on the left side of Photo. I have done the Control+restart, turned on and off Tools, docked and undocked Tools, restarted app and computer. I have no tools in any of the Personas. My shortcut keys work, so I can crop, inpaint, select, etc. just can't see the Tools.

When I started Designer, the Tools were undocked (which I didn't intentionally do), but the Tools are there and after redocking them, Designer seems to be fine.

Strange happening here...any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Under the view menu, goto Studio, and try Reset Studio. I've accidentally turned of the tool display a couple of times, and that fixed it.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

What happens if you select "Customize Tools" from the View menu?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Reset Studio does not bring the tools back.

Customize Tools only seems to make the tool area larger, and then toggles back to normal when selecting Customize Tools again.

Don't know if I can re-install the app or not. That might be my next option.

Customize Tools only seems to make the tool area larger, and then toggles back to normal when selecting Customize Tools again.

I don't understand. Do you see the Tools panel with all the tool icons displayed when you select Customize Tools or is the panel empty?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The tools panel is completely empty no matter what I do. I tried the Separate Panels option, and the Tools panel is visible but it's only a postage stamp sized gray area (that says Tools at the top) that has no tools. Also, if I didn't mention it, there are no tools in any of the Personas.

In the separate panel mode, try clicking once on the "Tools" text. If that does not work, I think you will have to reinstall the app. I know that on a Mac, each tool icon is a separate resource file in the application package, so I assume that if those resources have somehow gotten damaged & can't be loaded, it would result in an empty palette.

If I remember correctly, you are using the Windows versions (it never hurts to mention which platform & app versions you are using) but I think this would apply to both.

Affinity Photo 

Nope, on a MAC.

I have tried clicking on the Tools text and all around; still nothing.

One thing I forgot to mention. The first time I tried the Control + re-start of the app. the Tools DID  reappear for a brief time. Once I closed down Photo and reopened, no Tools again. I did the same procedure several more times and the Tools never came back.

I think at this point your best bet is to trash the app & install it again from the Mac App Store. Just open the MAS app from the Apple menu, make sure you are signed in with the same Apple ID you used when you bought it. Click on the "Purchased" tab, find AP in the list & click on the "Install" button next to it.

As long as your Internet connection is not unusually slow, this should take only a few minutes. It won't change any of your user preferences but it will insure that all the app resources are installed, undamaged, & file permissions for the app are what they should be.

Affinity Photo 

Ok, I uninstalled Photo, emptied the trash, rebooted the computer, redownloaded Photo, reinstalled it, and still no Tools...Aargh!!!

I'm truely at a loss here as to what is causing this.

By-the-way, I have Designer installed and it's working fine.

Some screenshots of what you are seeing may help

Also do you ever use a second monitor?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I do have a second monitor but don't use it as much with Affinity as I did with Photoshop. I haven't changed the way I use Photo or Designer at all. The last time, and everytime, I've used both programs, they have worked flawlessly.

This started yesterday when I was trying to find a way to edit a photo that had been added to a Designer project. The answer was to go to File > Edit-in and choose Photo. When done reverse the procedure moving back to Designer.

The file was open in Designer when I opened the original photo in Photo. I made an edit, saved and closed the photo. I just wanted to see if Designer would update the photo which it did not. Then, I Followed the advice from here (another thread) and did the File > Edit-in.

Now, when I opened the photo in Photo the first time, that's when the Tools were completely missing.

That's pretty much all that has happened. I can upload some screen shots in a little while.

Hi RKTodd,

Have you tried to install Photo under a new user to check if the tools appear as usual?

Have you installed any unusual menubar utility recently or other software?I 

I have not tried installing under new user.

No other installs.

At this point, I'd be running diskutil to see if there isn't a file system corruption somewhere.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I don't know if this will help but it might be worth checking for clues in a few things in the folder that holds your user settings for Photo. To do this, in Finder type CMD+Shift+G to get the 'go to folder' text box. In it paste in the following & click the Go button:

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library

(Don't forget to include the leading ~/ part -- it specifies your home folder.) Launch & then immediately quit Photo. Check the Size & Date Modified for the "Saved Application State" folder. The modified date should be identical to the time you quit Photo. The size of the folder should be minimal, typically 6 KB, & it should be empty. If not, drag everything in this folder to the trash & empty it.

The Caches folder should have a subfolder named "com.seriflabs.affinityphoto" with several items in it (three files & one folder). Drag all four items to the trash & empty it.

Because these are items in your home folder's Library folder, you should have adequate permissions to trash these files. If you get an authentication notice or a warning that you do not have permission to move the items to the trash, something is wrong with your permissions for one of the enclosing folders. This is not something that diskutil (the command line utility) or Disk Utility (the app) can fix. It is unlikely you will get one of these notices but if you do let us know (& the OS X version you are running) because there are ways of fixing this.

Launch Photo again & see if there is any difference. Don't expect much. It is mostly a shot in the dark.

Affinity Photo 

I don't know if this will help but it might be worth checking for clues in a few things in the folder that holds your user settings for Photo. To do this, in Finder type CMD+Shift+G to get the 'go to folder' text box. In it paste in the following & click the Go button:

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library

(Don't forget to include the leading ~/ part -- it specifies your home folder.) Launch & then immediately quit Photo. Check the Size & Date Modified for the "Saved Application State" folder. The modified date should be identical to the time you quit Photo. The size of the folder should be minimal, typically 6 KB, & it should be empty. If not, drag everything in this folder to the trash & empty it.

The Caches folder should have a subfolder named "com.seriflabs.affinityphoto" with several items in it (three files & one folder). Drag all four items to the trash & empty it.

Because these are items in your home folder's Library folder, you should have adequate permissions to trash these files. If you get an authentication notice or a warning that you do not have permission to move the items to the trash, something is wrong with your permissions for one of the enclosing folders. This is not something that diskutil (the command line utility) or Disk Utility (the app) can fix. It is unlikely you will get one of these notices but if you do let us know (& the OS X version you are running) because there are ways of fixing this.

Launch Photo again & see if there is any difference. Don't expect much. It is mostly a shot in the dark.

Thanks! I will give this a shot.

I just finished a complete new install. The first time I did this, it only took a few minutes for the install to take place, which is odd given the size of the download (I'm on DSL) This second time, it took over 2-1/2 hours...more normal. Still no Tools though.

R C-R

As you suggested, it might not work and it didn't BUT, I finally took the initiative to create a new user account and the Tools do appear there. Now to figure out what's wrong with my personal account that's keeping this thing from working.

...and how does one do that?

[Edited to remove redundant info]

Affinity Photo 

Ok, here's a summary of what's been done.

Affinity Photo has been downloaded and reinstalled two times. I followed R C-R's advice on remove items in Caches folder. Worked with two Apple senior advisors, and finally, created a new Test admin account. Photo works and looks fine on the new account but still no Tools on my main account.

Apple people just say they are not trained on thrid party software (which I understand), and telling me to reach out to Seriflabs for help. So there it is. If I can't get it resolved through this forum or some other means of contacting Seriflabs, then I will no longer be able to use Photo.

I am open for any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

One thing to try is starting up in Safe mode. This is mostly a diagnostic step, not a fix, but this will rule out or in some cases implicate log in & startup items, & rebuild font & some other system level caches. I have never tried to run Affinity in safe mode, so I am not sure what to expect, but since safe mode disables all but the essential kernel extensions, AP may run very slowly or otherwise act oddly. Either way, you just need to see if the tool panel displays its icons in safe mode, & of course if restarting normally afterwards does that.

If that doesn't help, the problem is most likely a conflict with some 'helper' or 'enhancement' app, particularly anything that installs an item on the right side of the menu bar. It can be tedious to check for every item that could cause a conflict. One thing that can help with this is Etrecheck, a small utility created by a regular contributor to the Apple Support forums. I have not used the current version, which is somewhat more elaborate than the ones I have used in the past, but I used to participate in the Apple forums regularly & I trust the author & the regulars on those forums to help you interpret the results if you need help with that.

Otherwise, you can post the results here so some of us familiar with doing that can help. Do check that all your personal info has been removed before posting the report anywhere -- the app should do that automatically but it is always possible a new piece of software will show some personally identifiable info that the utility has not yet been updated to catch. Typically, this would be an email address or something like that.

Affinity Photo 

R C -R, here is the standard report. Hope you can see something that I have missed.

EtreCheck version: 3.1.5 (343)

Report generated 2017-02-11 08:35:07

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime 1:36

Performance: Excellent

Click the [support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Other problem

Description:

Tools missing in Affinity Photo

Hardware Information:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) 

[Technical Specifications] - [user Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

iMac - model: iMac15,1

1 4 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-4790K) CPU: 4-core

32 GB RAM Upgradeable - [instructions]

BANK 0/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 0/DIMM1

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM1

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless:  en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Video Information:

AMD Radeon R9 M295X - VRAM: 4096 MB

iMac 5120 x 2880

Cinema HD 1920 x 1200

System Software:

macOS Sierra  10.12.3 (16D32) - Time since boot: about 17 hours

Disk Information:

APPLE SSD SM0512G disk0 : (500.28 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

[show SMART report]

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB 

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) /  [startup]: 499.42 GB (167.08 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>  [Recovery]: 650 MB 

TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 disk2 : (3 TB) (Rotational)

[show SMART report]

EFI (disk2s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB 

Data1BU (disk2s2) /Volumes/Data1BU : 3.00 TB (1.62 TB free)

TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 disk1 : (3 TB) (Rotational)

[show SMART report]

EFI (disk1s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB 

Data1 (disk1s2) /Volumes/Data1 : 3.00 TB (1.62 TB free)

ST2000DM001-1ER164 disk3 : (2 TB) (Rotational)

[show SMART report]

EFI (disk3s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB 

Data2 (disk3s2) /Volumes/Data2 : 2.00 TB (1.25 TB free)

ST31000528AS disk4 : (1 TB) (Rotational)

[show SMART report]

EFI (disk4s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB 

Backup (disk4s2) /Volumes/Backup : 999.86 GB (294.49 GB free)

USB Information:

VIA Labs, Inc.          USB3.0 Hub              

VIA Labs, Inc.          USB3.0 Hub              

Lexar WorkflowSR2 

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub 

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller 

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in) 

Apple, Inc. Keyboard Hub 

Apple Inc. Apple Keyboard 

VIA Labs, Inc.          USB2.0 Hub              

VIA Labs, Inc.          USB2.0 Hub              

Wacom Co.,Ltd. Intuos5 touch S 

Apple Computer, Inc. Apple Cinema HD Display 

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Other World Computing ThunderBay 4

Gatekeeper:

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions:

/Applications/Toast 11 Titanium/Spin Doctor.app

[not loaded]    com.hzsystems.terminus.driver (4 - 2015-06-08) [support]

/Applications/Toast 11 Titanium/Toast Titanium.app

[not loaded]    com.roxio.BluRaySupport (1.1.6 - 2015-06-08) [support]

/Applications/Utilities/DiskWarrior.app

[not loaded]    com.alsoft.Preview (5.0 - SDK 10.5 - 2015-12-10) [support]

/Library/Application Support/HASP/kexts

[not loaded]    com.aladdin.kext.aksfridge (1.0.13274 - 2017-02-10) [support]

/Library/Extensions

[not loaded]    com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.9.3 - SDK 10.8 - 2017-02-09) [support]

[not loaded]    com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver (1.3.3 - SDK 10.8 - 2017-02-09) [support]

[loaded]    com.logitech.manager.kernel.driver (6.40.1 - SDK 10.11 - 2017-02-09) [support]

[not loaded]    com.olympus.CamBlockCommandsDeviceUP (3.2.0 - SDK 10.11 - 2017-02-09) [support]

[not loaded]    com.wacom.kext.ftdi (1.0 - SDK 10.10 - 2017-02-09) [support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded]    com.AmbrosiaSW.AudioSupport (4.1.2 - SDK 10.7 - 2017-02-10) [support]

[not loaded]    com.contourdesign.driver.shuttle (2.2 - 2017-02-10) [support]

[not loaded]    com.wacom.kext.wacomtablet (Wacom Tablet 6.3.11-3 - SDK 10.9 - 2017-02-10) [support]

[not loaded]    jp.plentycom.driver.SteerMouse (4.1.3 - SDK 10.7 - 2017-02-10) [support]

~/Library/Services/ToastIt.service/Contents/MacOS

[not loaded]    com.roxio.TDIXController (2.0 - 2013-08-01) [support]

Startup Items:

ProTec6: Path: /Library/StartupItems/ProTec6

ProTec6b: Path: /Library/StartupItems/ProTec6b

Startup items no longer function in OS X Yosemite or later

System Launch Agents:

[not loaded]    7 Apple tasks

[loaded]    174 Apple tasks

[running]    99 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded]    41 Apple tasks

[loaded]    168 Apple tasks

[running]    102 Apple tasks

Launch Agents:

[running]    com.Logitech.Control Center.Daemon.plist (2016-09-10) [support]

[not loaded]    com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist (2017-01-14) [support]

[loaded]    com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist (2017-01-14) [support]

[failed]    com.brother.LOGINserver.plist (2012-09-04) [support] - /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/Server/LOGINserver.app/Contents/MacOS/LOGINserver: Executable not found!

[loaded]    com.google.keystone.agent.plist (2017-02-10) [support]

[loaded]    com.hp.help.tocgenerator.plist (2010-09-10) [support]

[running]    com.logitech.manager.daemon.plist (2017-02-10) [support]

[loaded]    com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist (2017-02-10) [support]

[running]    com.wacom.wacomtablet.plist (2015-03-05) [support]

[loaded]    com.xrite.device.softwareupdate.plist (2014-03-10) [support]

Launch Daemons:

[loaded]    com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist (2014-12-06) [support]

[running]    com.adobe.adobeupdatedaemon.plist (2017-01-14) [support]

[running]    com.adobe.agsservice.plist (2017-01-24) [support]

[loaded]    com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (2015-12-23) [support]

[running]    com.aladdin.aksusbd.plist (2012-04-24) [support]

[running]    com.aladdin.hasplmd.plist (2012-04-24) [support]

[loaded]    com.ambrosiasw.ambrosiaaudiosupporthelper.daemon.plist (2013-10-29) [support]

[loaded]    com.apple.aelwriter.plist (2010-08-22)

[running]    com.atomicbird.macaroni.launchd.plist (2017-02-11) [support]

[loaded]    com.bombich.ccc.plist (2014-04-02) [support]

[loaded]    com.bombich.ccchelper.plist (2017-01-14) [support]

[running]    com.fitbit.fitbitd.plist (2012-02-16) [support]

[loaded]    com.google.keystone.daemon.plist (2017-01-23) [support]

[loaded]    com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist (2017-02-09) [support]

[loaded]    com.olympus.AuthHelper2.helper.plist (2017-01-16) [support]

[loaded]    com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist (2016-12-13) [support]

[running]    com.xrite.device.xrdd.plist (2013-10-22) [support]

[running]    net.decimus.synk.synkd.plist (2006-09-09) [support]

User Launch Agents:

[loaded]    com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist (2017-01-14) [support]

[loaded]    com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist (2015-06-08) [support]

[failed]    com.akamai.single-user-client.plist (2012-08-27) [support] - ~/Applications/Akamai/netsession_mac: Executable not found!

[failed]    com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist (2009-08-06) - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/OSServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/CSConfigDotMacCert: Executable not found!

[loaded]    com.dxo.OpticsPro10LaunchAgent.plist (2015-11-24) [support]

[loaded]    com.pia.pia_manager.plist (2017-01-27)

[running]    ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist (2014-06-23) [support]

Internet Plug-ins:

o1dbrowserplugin: 5.41.3.0 - SDK 10.8 (2015-12-16) [support]

Google Earth Web Plug-in: 6.0 (2011-07-10) [support]

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: 12.3.6 (2013-03-25) [support]

AdobeExManDetect: AdobeExManDetect 1.1.0.0 - SDK 10.7 (2014-12-06) [support]

WacomTabletPlugin: WacomTabletPlugin 2.1.0.6 - SDK 10.9 (2015-03-05) [support]

AdobeAAMDetect: 3.0.0.0 - SDK 10.9 (2017-01-14) [support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: 24.0.0.194 - SDK 10.9 (2017-02-10) [support]

Silverlight: 5.1.50428.0 - SDK 10.6 (2016-07-10) [support]

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (2017-02-10)

Flash Player: 24.0.0.194 - SDK 10.9 (2017-02-10) [support]

googletalkbrowserplugin: 5.41.3.0 - SDK 10.8 (2015-12-11) [support]

iPhotoPhotocast: 7.0 (2010-04-04)

AdobePDFViewer: 9.5.5 (2013-05-20) [support]

GarminGpsControl: 4.0.2.6 Beta - SDK 10.6 (2014-08-14) [support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Java 8 Update 121 build 13 (2017-02-10) Check version

User internet Plug-ins:

ZoomUsPlugIn: 4.0.21664.0117 - SDK 10.11 (2017-01-19) [support]

WebEx: 1.0 (2011-01-28) [support]

Safari Extensions:

1Password - AgileBits - https://agilebits.com/onepassword (2016-12-21)

AdBlock - BetaFish, Inc. - https://getadblock.com (2015-10-01)

Adblock Plus - Eyeo GmbH - https://adblockplus.org/ (2016-12-21)

ExifExt - phriedrich - http://phriedrich.de (2015-09-02)

Translate - SideTree.com - Apps for Mac and Web - http://SideTree.com/extensions.html#Translate (2016-01-29)

1-ClickWeather - TWCi - http://www.weather.com/ (2014-12-01)

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Akamai NetSession Preferences (2013-03-31) [support]

Déjà Vu (2010-08-08) [support]

Flash Player (2016-12-16) [support]

Java (2017-02-10) [support]

Logi Options Launcher (2017-02-10) [support]

Macaroni (2010-08-08) [support]

Secrets (2012-02-13) [support]

SteerMouse (2012-07-10) [support]

WacomTablet (2015-03-10) [support]

Time Machine:

Skip System Files: NO

Mobile backups: OFF

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

Macintosh HD: Disk size: 499.42 GB Disk used: 332.34 GB

Destinations:

Backup [Local] 

Total size: 999.86 GB 

Total number of backups: 67 

Oldest backup: 10/10/16, 12:41 AM 

Last backup: 2/11/17, 8:32 AM 

Size of backup disk: Adequate

Backup size 999.86 GB > (Disk used 332.34 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU:

3%   WindowServer

2%   fontd

1%   kernel_task

0%   com.apple.AmbientDisplayAgent

0%   airportd

Top Processes by Memory:

1.61 GB   kernel_task

688 MB    mdworker(18)

328 MB    mds_stores

262 MB    iTunes

262 MB    Mail

Virtual Memory Information:

25.98 GB  Available RAM

20.16 GB  Free RAM

6.02 GB   Used RAM

5.81 GB   Cached files

0 B       Swap Used

Diagnostics Information:

Feb 10, 2017, 03:32:03 PM    /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/AdobeGCClient_2017-02-10-153203_[redacted].crash

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/*/AdobeGCClient.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeGCClient

Feb 10, 2017, 03:25:55 PM    Self test - passed

Feb 10, 2017, 03:22:30 PM    /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/WindowServer_2017-02-10-152230_[redacted].cpu_resource.diag [Details]

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Resources/WindowServer

Feb 9, 2017, 05:02:11 PM    /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/AdobeGCClient_2017-02-09-170211_[redacted].crash

Feb 9, 2017, 04:54:54 PM    /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/WacomTabletDriver_2017-02-09-165454_[redacted].crash

com.wacom.WacomTabletDriver - /Library/Application Support/Tablet/WacomTabletDriver.app/Contents/MacOS/WacomTabletDriver