Sign in to follow this  
Beto

[By Design] Affinity Photo - Folder Behaviour

This may be not be a bug, although by the logic on other software and  features like "Sublayers" on Affinity Photo, I'm assuming that it is.

I'm recording a macro in which I want to consolidate all the layers of the macro into a single folder, and I have a layer structure like this:

post-51558-0-98141700-1486593989_thumb.png

And it works as intended, all the adjustment layers inside the MACRO folder affect how the pixel "Background" layer looks and I can hide the effect by just hiding the MACRO folder. BUT, as soon as I add a pixel layer anywhere inside the folder, even if it's completely empty, it all breaks and my macro edits become invisible, and they seem to only affect the pixel layer inside the folder, I've verified that my folder is completely visible with "Passthrough" as blending mode. So basically the folder is becoming the sum of all child layers and acting like a pixel layer on its own instead of just grouping.

post-51558-0-64307600-1486594497_thumb.png

The reason I think this is a bug it's because the folder is not acting any different as if I were to merge its child layers, IMO folder are for structural reasons and only affect the way the child layers interact if the folder itself has its opacity or blending mode edited or has effects apply to itself (not the child layers, and if possible). And because if I wanted to limit the adjustment layers to the PIXEL layer inside the folder I should add them as SUBLAYERS to it, like so:

post-51558-0-07863500-1486594499_thumb.png

am I right?

Hi Beto

This is actually the intended behaviour for groups containing adjustments, they will only affect objects outside if the group is purely adjustments or filters, indicated by the folder icon with the small adjustment of filter icon in it

cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com