You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello community!

I was always using pixelmator and just bought afphoto as pixelmator is quietly dying.

Pixelmator was super easy to use where you can drag an drop effects into the photo. On afphoto, I saw how to do a certain things but not all the effects offered by pixelmator.

I was wondering if there were a video tutorial made just for this transition: Pixelmator to affinity photo.

How can I achieve the pointilize effect for instance? or the honeycomb effect?

Anybody knows? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers  :) 

post-27873-0-77516800-1486585779_thumb.png

Sometimes you're ready for the next step. It made me slowly make the move from Pixelmator to Affinity Photo and Designer. I wouldn't want to conclude that Pixelmator is dying, though. They released a new version not so long ago which includes Touchbar support, Tabs, Deep color and a new selection refinement option. Even with this new functionality, Pixelmator is still a very easy to use image manipulation tool which suits the needs of many people.

Pixelmator also has some features which may not be found in other tools, such as Affinity Photo. I'm convinced somebody will show you how the effects you're looking for can be produced in AP, but be prepared for a few more clicks than you're used to, coming from Pixelmator.

In the meantime, i recommend to go to the Tutorials section on the Serif Affinity homepage or via this page. It will help you to get familiar with the enormous potential of Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Pixelmator is indeed easy to use, but almost every move you made is destructive due to the lack of Adjustment Layer or features like that, there's no point for you not to dump Pixelmator since you already have Photo.

And the team made a lot of great video tutorials to get you started, they're really helpful! Viemo

Yes it's true.... almost every move you make on pixelmator is destructive.... I've had affinity designer for a long time and bought affinity photo just for flexibility: so that I can go from both affinity programs just like that in the file menu: Edit in designer/photo

Pixelmator is extremely intuitive, visual and easy to use and that is why I love it. AF photo, maybe looks more professional, but the program looks less intuitive (maybe it's more powerful but the interface is less appealing at first glance in my opinion) I've looked at some tutorials already, not all of them though. it's cool but less exciting for instance in the studio menu, the adjustments effect does not look as nice and cool as the effects browser in pixelmator.

Anyway, I've seen some tutorials already and I know how to get around AF photo (the basics, basic effects, color modification, color replacement, distortion pixel tool ect..) but then when you are looking for a "more complex effect" like honeycomb, I have no idea how. 

I can use Pixelmator and Im really happy doing so but I wanted to know it in af photo also,

I think it would be good for Serif to have videos explaining how to go from pixelmator to AFphoto no? what do you think? because when I look on google how to do honeycomb effect with AF photo, i don't have anything... 

• Staff

Hi hugo bertrand,

The overall concepts and techniques used in photo editing (or illustration) are valid for any program you use. The difficulty usually comes from knowing how they were implemented in each one and their scope - some offer more control/possibilities than others. We can't have a video to help with the transition from other programs out there - there's dozens of them - but for those coming from more advanced programs the transition is not that difficult - apart from knowing the interface and where everything is. The in-house video tutorials cover these aspects quite well. If you are moving from a more accessible program, any source/book that goes through layers, selections, masking, channels etc will be helpful to understand how Affinity or any other image editing software works.

The effects you are referring to in particular are considered artistic filters and each program have a few (more or less original) that are specific to those programs. You may not find them in other software, working in the exact some way - although some may be replicated using the regular tools provided by the software. Currently Affinity doesn't have any "artistic" filters yet. There's plans to add them in a future version. Some of them will eventually be original and hard to find in other software. If you have Affinity Photo you can also get a few third party photoshop plugins. There's plenty of them for creative purposes. Maybe some of them are able to offer similar effects to those you are looking for.

• 1 year later...