You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, my Fuji RAF has 4,896 x 3,264 px. Using the Affinity RAW engine it becomes 4,952 x 3,288; with the Apple engine it is no change, BUT on the screen last one looks bigger a bit.

regards

lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

• Staff

Hi Lars, this is expected behaviour. In-camera JPEG processing typically crops off edge pixels rather than processing them because they're complicated to interpolate. For consistency, RAW files also contain edge cropping information which most RAW software obeys, so the final resolution is the same.

Photo ignores this cropping information and processes the edge pixels, however, resulting in a slightly larger resolution. Most of the time, this simply gives you a few extra pixels to work with. On some cameras, however, the cropping is actually necessary - Canon Powershot models have some strong vignetting in the corners, which you typically never see because that information is usually thrown away.

In most cases it's nothing to worry about (unless you're a Powershot user  ;) )

Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

What ever, I don´t understand all of this English, James. Think the following. A photographer, a "user" only, works something around – may be text or graphic – in a JPG which he takes from Aperture or direct from his camera: 4,864 x 3264 px. Then he thinks it should be better to take the RAF using as the photography (I very seldom use the RAW) and to copy what he worked out to it. The difference in 100% on my little screen makes 11 mm in the X; and changing the 4,952 x 3288 px of your RAW down to 4,896 the y = 3,250.8; the x:y changed too. But I would not understand what is going on... get panic and look for another programm. It is not only powershot, my camera is a Fuji. So let me the Apple engine in the future please. Best regards lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2