Timespider

The File Type Is Not Supported

Hi guys,

Running AD on Windows 10.

Sorry for starting a new topic for similar threads written here & here but there wasn't an answer so I'm posting as well. 

I have been working on a project & suddenly it won't open & the message box pops up with "The File Type Is Not Supported" this is very annoying as I spent a little bit of time on it trying to learn AD.

Is there a reason why this is happening to (I presume windows users)?

Before this happened for the last few days I got message boxes saying something like "Couldn't open file. Do you want to open a recovery file" which I did and the file opened. But now it's not working

Tried attaching the file but it kept saying "No file was selected for upload" so attached it in a zip file. Also attached the message box.

All & any help appreciated.

post-47355-0-31042300-1486543473_thumb.jpg

nield_cube.zip

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

Hi Timespider,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Where are you saving your file? Are you opening/saving it directly from a USB Pen, an external hard drive or NAS or a synchronised cloud folder from services like Dropbox and similar?

Affinity uses more than one location to save/store data while you are working on a project (to speed things up), if the original file location changes or becomes unavailable Affinity may not be able to save/write to the file properly leading to data corruption.

Hi Meb,

I save it to a external hard drive since the first day AD was installed. The drive is always connected to my PC & never unplugged. I've saved all my graphic files here for years.

In saying this I have moved files to different folders on this drive for Fireworks projects over the last few years & never have I been unable to open a file.

If AD uses more than one location why are none of them able to open the file?

Thanks

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

Also I forgot to say,

I had been working on the file in question. So had opened it  & saved it many times then at the end of the day I closed the file then closed the AD program no issues with either of these 2 things. I didn't move the file or anything. I was up late so opened AD again & tried opening the file from "Open Recent" under the file tab. As that didn't work I browsed to it & so on & so on.

Surly it should open as it's an ".afdesign" file so it's the correct file type. Even if it was a blank file that opened.

Bizarre!

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

When i said it uses more than one location i meant that part of the data is written in other place to speed up the application while you work on a project (and not that the file was entirely duplicated to another place). Only when you hit save or in certain conditions we write back to the original file. If for some reason Affinity loses the track of it - because the NAS where it was stored become unavailable, or the original file changed due to some cloud service sync going on etc - then the file may become corrupted.

What's the model of the external drive? Does it turn off when not accessed during some time? If you were receiving the "Couldn't open file. Do you want to open a recovery file" message previously this means Affinity was already having trouble saving the file properly and was recurring to a backup to restore it.

Hi Meb

Thanks for replying,

I have no idea if it turns off or not. It's a "Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device SRD00F2". But if I'm going to have these types of issues I'll go back to using Fireworks as I've never had a problem with it over a few PC's & external hard drives. My graphic files for Fireworks are on this drive also.

Motto - STUPID HURTS!