You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawing Tablet Huion H610 pro advisable for Affinity Designer?

As i searched some older posts, i found some very positive feedback about the drawing tablet from Huion. As i am searching to buy one, i want to know if this is still the latest one available. I have been searching all over google and found only this one as a good alternative from Wacom.

The posts that i read here are from 2015, so i was wondering if the people who wrote back then are still so enthousiastic. 

(the one i have in mind buying: aliexpress

Thank you for your reply.

I have a somewhat larger model, the WH1 1409. Aside from the size, my model has the same range of pressure sensitivity but a 20% finer resolution. Both are far beyond what my somewhat arthritic hands can achieve. 

Wacom has models w. more pressure levels, but for me, they would be useless.

Small downside, the work surface is rather slick.

It appears that the pen charge wears out before the tablet charge. That has been slightly irksome. While the tablet is wireless, it can also be used w. a long USB cable. The pen charge cable is much shorter, and so if the pen needs charging, there's no good way to use the tablet for several hours.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

My purchase  decision for the Huion was guided by 2 things.

1. The price. Tho' not quite as capable as a comparable sized Wacom, the company has a decent reputation. So for about 1/3rd the price, I figured it was worth a try. Self indulgent, but not too much.

2. I used to have a 9 x 12 Intuos 2. I always felt my motions were cramped. I suppose it was the fault of the applications, but often the brush would stop before the edge of the digital canvas, and  I had to lift up and resume. Because for expressive work, I like a broad sweeping gesture. my Huion allows that when I want it. Most of the time, no. A smaller drawing area would suffice.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

... i want to know if this is still the latest one available. I have been searching all over google and found only this one as a good alternative from Wacom.

I think the Huion H610 pro was supposed to be superseded by the Huion 1060 Plus, but they're both still for sale simultaneously.  I don't think there's much difference in them apart from a different button layout, slightly different surface and the 1060 Plus has a memory card slot.

If it wasn't for the price I would probably have gone for a Wacom Intuos Pro Small, but because of the price I use a 1060 Plus instead.  Size wise I think the 1060 Plus is roughly between a Wacom Intuos Pro Small and Intuos Pro Medium.  The Intuos also has tilt, if that's something you're likely to use (obviously I don't).

... Maybe i should rethink the size as well.

My use is different to the other poster, as I rarely use large broad strokes and therefore I only use a small part of the surface.  Because of this, most of the surface on the 1060 is wasted on me.  The below video is about Wacom, but it touches on this at the 4:55 mark.

https://youtu.be/1wkwpntvyU4?t=295

Here's the area I use in conjunction with a single 24" monitor.  So you need to think about how you're likely to use it, broad strokes or small strokes, as it's only something you can answer really.

post-29590-0-69512900-1486571120_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

@ Sima, somehow i totally overlooked your reply. My sincere apologies! In the meantime i bought the Huion and I am so very happy with it!

Your tubevideo explained to me why i struggle with the big are right now. I am indeed used to having small mouse gestures, and suddenly i have a big area with i have to cover with my pen. 

Still have to get the feeling of using no mouse anymore and i am looking for a place with suggested hotkeys. 

• 2 weeks later...

@ Sima, somehow i totally overlooked your reply. My sincere apologies! In the meantime i bought the Huion and I am so very happy with it!

Your tubevideo explained to me why i struggle with the big are right now. I am indeed used to having small mouse gestures, and suddenly i have a big area with i have to cover with my pen. 

Still have to get the feeling of using no mouse anymore and i am looking for a place with suggested hotkeys. 

Glad you're happy with it.

For what it's worth, today I picked up a Huion P68 battery pen (bottom one in photo) to replace the Huion P80 rechargeable pen (top one in photo) that came as standard with the tablet.  I've never really got on with buttons on graphics tablet pens as I find they just get in the way and I always end up accidently clicking them.  So, I though I'd see what I could do. 

Turns out the buttons are only held in by a single clip in the middle of the button, which can be easily removed by using a small pick.  Then it was just a case of cutting a small strip of electrical insulating tape to put in the hole to make it look a bit tidier. 

No more accidental clicks...

So if you find the buttons get in the way too, they can be removed.  Although, do so at you're own risk.  Something, something invalidate your warranty.  Etc. etc.

post-29590-0-81383400-1490912885_thumb.jpg  post-29590-0-60109400-1490912901_thumb.jpg