You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Mod10,

Welcome to the Forums :)

It isn't possible at the moment I'm afraid  but we are adding a Light UI mode in a future update. You can read more about it here: https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-1-6-versions-to-include-light-ui-mode/

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Is there a way of changing the overall background colour of the AP workspace/desktop to another brighter colour ?

At least on the Mac versions, there are two sliders in Preferences > User Interface to control the background grey level (one for documents that have artboards & another for ones that don't). Both can be adjusted from 100% black to 100% white. They do not affect UI elements, but they do affect the workspace.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...
44 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Is it possible to change the colour of the workspace background in the beta version 1.7? Thus seeing what an image would look when mounted or displayed as DPI.

Your only choices are the light UI or the dark UI, and the Preferences for the UI also let you adjust the darkness of the workspace background.

I don't know what you mean by "or displayed as DPI." But to see what it might look like mounted you could several different things, depending on whether you're asking about Photo or Designer.

Note, though, that questions about the betas should be asked in the appropriate beta forum. I can comment, though, that there are no changes in this area between the released versions and the beta versions as far as I know.,

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am referring to Photo.  I have tried you suggestion and it does  what I want. Display as DPI means when the image is projected  on to a screen. When projected the surround is usually black. If the image is B&W there could be areas where the image merges into the background making it difficult to see the edge of the image. If this happens it's probably good to put a keyline/border on the image. Changing the background to black in UI allows me predict if the  image will cause a problem when projected and I then see if the keyline(colour,thickness) will resolve the issue.

It would be useful if the background could be changed to any colour that would allow users to see the affect of  using coloured mount boards for the printed images.

Many thanks for your help.

1 minute ago, RedSnapper said:

It would be useful if the background could be changed to any colour that would allow users to see the affect of  using coloured mount boards for the printed images.

If you mean the background of the workspace window, you can't use any color but you can set it to any gray value from completely black to completely white. Set this using the top slider (labeled "Background Gray Level") in Preferences > User Interface.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 2/17/2019 at 5:46 PM, RedSnapper said:

You can resize the canvas a bit larger (using Document > Resize Canvas or by using the Crop Tool and dragging it larger than the existing canvas), and then you could add a Fill Layer of the color you want, and move it behind the other layers (lower on the layer stack) using the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1