You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard shortcuts on Windows for digital painting?

Hi,

After some digging I've discovered that the Mac version of Affinity Photo has some useful keyboard shortcuts for painting.

Does anyone know how can I active these shortcuts on Windows?

• "Colour Chooser" popup (it basically activates Color palette as a pop-up window) -- Dunno how to open that. Help docs are missing.

• "Left-right changes width and up-down changes hardness of brush" -- Very useful, but can't figure out the keys on Windows.

• "Temporarily switches to the Colour Picker tool" -- I think it's simply ALT key but not 100% sure as the active tool does not visually change

BTW: If anyone knows any other useful tips (especially for painting with tablet), please feel free to use this topic :-)

I think by "Colour Chooser" you actually mean the Apple Colour Picker, an item on the View menu. As the name implies, this is an Apple-only item, a function that is provided by OS X, not Affinity.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think by "Colour Chooser" you actually mean the Apple Colour Picker, an item on the View menu. As the name implies, this is an Apple-only item, a function that is provided by OS X, not Affinity.

No, it's not the same. I'm looking for the pop-up window from the screenshot below. It says "Colour Chooser". Apple Colour Picker looks different.

vF295RR.png

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't use Windows so I do not know if it works the same but in the Mac apps to open the Color Chooser window, double click on one of the large color wells in the Color Panel. I am not aware of any keyboard shortcut or menu item that opens it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

"Left-right changes width and up-down changes hardness of brush" -- Very useful, but can't figure out the keys on Windows.

That is not actually for the Brush Tool. You can change the tolerance of the Flood Fill Tool that way, but not with the Brush. The key commands are listed on the most lower area. The shortcuts are different depending on the tool.

"Temporarily switches to the Colour Picker tool" -- I think it's simply ALT key but not 100% sure as the active tool does not visually change

Yes it does, plus another action. With the Brush Tool selected, hold Alt and Hold the left mouse button.

No, it's not the same. I'm looking for the pop-up window from the screenshot below. It says "Colour Chooser". Apple Colour Picker looks different.

If you would like to continuously double click the large color well as R C-R mentioned, you can have it below your tools if they are organized in two or more columns.

BTW: If anyone knows any other useful tips (especially for painting with tablet), please feel free to use this topic :-)

It's not tablet related, but you can assign your own shortcuts in the Preferences.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

"Left-right changes width and up-down changes hardness of brush" -- Very useful, but can't figure out the keys on Windows.

Yes, that's very useful when you don't have the English keyboard.

I did that in Photoshop when I had a PC/Windows.

I can't remember exactly,  try alt+right click?  Drag with your mouse or on the trackpad up/down or sideways.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2