You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey affinity community,

I'm completely new and I'm sorry, because I think this is a very foolish question, but

I can only save my edited images as a "Affinity" File? No .jpeg or .png (Win10 64Bit)

Can someone tell me, what I'm doing wrong? :D

Thx

Phips

• Staff

Hi Phips,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Adding to what Callum said, just click the Save button in the dialog anyway after you do a File ▸ Export and Affinity will export the file in the correct format. If you want to see the extension appearing in the dialog, open a Windows Explorer window, change to the View tab and check File name extensions (on the right almost at the end). Next time you export to jpg, png etc you should see the extension in the Save dialog too after doing a File ▸ Export...

Hi Phips,

Just click Save and Affinity will export the file in the correct format. If you want to see the extension in the Save As dialog, open a Windows Explorer window, change to the View tab and check File name extensions (on the right almost at the end). Nest time you export to jpg, png etc you should see the extension in the Save dialog too.

Hi MEB

I'm on a Mac and that isn't the way it works for me.

I have opened a TIF file done a bit of inpainting and now want to save it back out as a TIF overwriting the old TIF. Whan I clic save AP wants to save as an aphoto file. Surely the default to save should be the same format as opened. Even save as should default to the same format with the option to change.

R

• Staff

Hi robert joseph bailey,

I was replying to Phips question who is working on a Windows machine which currently doesn't list the file extension when you export a file. It's a different context/situation.

Regarding your question: Affinity doesn't overwrite TIFF or PSD directly because these formats may contain features not supported by Affinity apps. If we overwrite them there's a risk some information from the original file may get lost or rasterised. You can override this for PSD checking Enable Save over imported PSD files in Affinity Designer/Photo Preferences, General section. This is mostly intended as a way to provide an exchange format with third party DAM applications. There's no way to do the same for TIFF.

So to overwrite an existing TIFF you must export it, then navigate/point to the existing file to replace it. For generic formats (JPG, PNG) you can simply Save to overwrite them as long as you don't use features not supported by these formats otherwise Affinity will prompt you to flatten the edits you have made or Save As in our native file format to keep everything editable.

Surely the default to save should be the same format as opened.

That would make sense only if users typically did not care about preserving the ability to edit anything Affinity's native file format supports that the original file format does not. Since it is reasonable to assume most users do care about that (non-destructive editing is one of Affinity's strongest points), I think it is safe to assume this would be a very unpopular default for saving edited files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi robert joseph bailey,

I was replying to Phips question who is working on a Windows machine which currently doesn't list the file extension when you export a file. It's a different context/situation.

Regarding your question: Affinity doesn't overwrite TIFF or PSD directly because these formats may contain features not supported by Affinity apps. If we overwrite them there's a risk some information from the original file may get lost or rasterised. You can override this for PSD checking Enable Save over imported PSD files in Affinity Designer/Photo Preferences, General section. This is mostly intended as a way to provide an exchange format with third party DAM applications. There's no way to do the same for TIFF.

So to overwrite an existing TIFF you must export it, then navigate/point to the existing file to replace it. For generic formats (JPG, PNG) you can simply Save to overwrite them as long as you don't use features not supported by these formats otherwise Affinity will prompt you to flatten the edits you have made or Save As in our native file format to keep everything editable.

Hi MEB

Thank you for the explanation. I see what you mean.

In my haste to ask the question I missed an inportant point. I am in fact "round tripping" (or trying to) from another application (Capture One Pro). Capture One gives me the option to edit in Affinity Photo and will export a JPG or TIF (8 or 16 bit) which then opens in Affinity Photo.

When I have finished editing in Affinity Photo I want to go back to Caoture One Pro and continue editing or output from there.

Affinity Photo does not even take me to the same directory, is there any way to return to the source directory rather than "Pictures".

Thank you

Robert