You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I compiled a group of images into a focus stack. When it was done, I had the sources panel visible. Before using this, I wanted to examine the final image in close up, so I closed the sources panel. Having decided what needed doing, I could find no way of re-opening the sources panel and I had to start again. Is it possible to re-open this panel?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After focus stacking, I have found the sources panel always there. However if I save the file (as .afphoto), then when I re-open it the sources panel is empty. I would guess that there is some preference I should have set to get it to be saved in the .afphoto file. Could anyone tell me what this might be?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 1/9/2018 at 8:25 PM, Pixel8 said:

Hello, 

I have tried stacking/merging but I never even get to see the sources panel. I have tried unchecking and rechecking in Studio, but still no sources panel. Any ideas what this could be?

I've been following the workbook and used the link to download the files.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 5:06 PM, John Rostron said:

After focus stacking, I have found the sources panel always there. However if I save the file (as .afphoto), then when I re-open it the sources panel is empty. I would guess that there is some preference I should have set to get it to be saved in the .afphoto file. Could anyone tell me what this might be?

John

I have this same question.  There seems to be inconsistency with the Sources Panel.  Sometimes I can close the file and upon re-opening, it's empty.  Other times it re-opens showing the Sources.

Is there an answer to why this happens?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• 7 months later...

When the focus stack is complete I see a source panel and all the individual layers. However, once I do anything (zoom in, zoom out, select a brush, whatever) the sources panel turns empty. I can turn the entire panel on and off, but I never managed to get the actual source layers back. The panel has one merged layer but nothing else. How can I actually work on the individual layers of the focus stack?

I tried a few more times, but the sources panel is still a source of aggravation: sometimes I see source layers, but they are now named "untitled" and some are missing. I don't recall having these issues when working through the focus merge tutorial in the workbook, but now, after banging my head around it for a few hours it's time to change over to a different piece of software.

Edited by ceg
update on user experience

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/4/2019 at 2:54 AM, mice said:

If the sources panel appears empty, click on the Clone Brush Tool or press 's' on the keyboard.

On my Mac 10.15.4, I'm running Affinity Photo version 1.8.2. But after reopening the afphoto file with the focus stacked image, pressing 's' does not show the source images in the Sources panel. What am I missing here?

I notice the following. The Sources panel holds references to files at a global level. As soon as Affinity Photo application is closed, the referenced files are cleared.
There is one big feature missing in the Sources panel. In order to add an image to the source panel, it has to be openend in Affinity Photo. For two or three images, this is not a problem. But working with a lot of images when focus stacking, this is really a pain-in-the-a.. to do!!! Even ordering the referenced Sources is not possible. So, you can imagine what a time consuming process this is. Further more, Affinity Photo does NOT save the Sources list with the afphoto file. This means that every time after closing Affinity Photo, all the Sources must be manually opened and added one-by-one again before I can continue working on my image. This really really really needs to be resolved! 

• 4 months later...

About 90% of my work in the last 10 years, involves focus stacking.  I used Helicon for years.  It's a good app, but AFP is superior for focus stacking.  With Helicon, I always had to spend time 'cleaning up' the stack manually.  This is sometimes very hard to get right with Helicon and you are sometimes working with using 2 or 3 stacks made with different settings, in order to use the best bits of each.

The bug described by John Rostron in this thread re: AFP focus stacking (Focus Merge) is is an annoying waste of time and is representative of other areas of AFP, where bugs just linger on...

My only criticism of AFP Focus Merge (aside from this bug) is the way it handles specular highlights, which it leaves as a kind of 'glowing blur'.  Sort of as if there's a soft focus filter applied to the highlights.  Ironically, this can actually be really nice in some cases ... although I would guess it was not intended behaviour, but I would very much like to have the choice of having *sharp* specular highlights when I want them.  I waste a lot of time with AFP focus merge, cleaning up these blurred highlights, by manually brushing in the same actual area used by the automated merge, but even with this extra wasted time, it is still faster and better in the end, than Helicon.

As is often the case, I expect the problem may lie with the fact that the people making software, don't actually use it, so they're unaware of these, slightly 'off the beaten track' bugs.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...