You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apologies for the newbie question here, I have the feeling I'm overlooking something very obvious but can't seem to figure it out.

I've created a logo which consists of 6 layers. The layers have been grouped together.

My question is a 2-parter:

1) how do I duplicate the group/image-as-a-whole...then separate (drag?) the dup from the original?

and, 2) how can I then copy/paste the dup(s) to a new document or artboard?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

christo 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, christo. :)

1) To duplicate the group, simply select it and choose the 'Duplicate' option from the Edit menu (keyboard shortcut Ctrl+J on Windows or Cmd+J on a Mac). I'm not sure what you mean about separating the duplicate from the original.

2) Choose 'Edit > Copy' (Ctrl+C or Cmd+C) followed by 'File > New From Clipboard' to create a new document from the copied object(s).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1) how do I duplicate the group/image-as-a-whole...then separate (drag?) the dup from the original?

When an object or groupis duplicated or copied and pasted, the new items are left where the originals were. They are stacked on top of the originals. Right after the operation, the new items are selected, and can then be moved to another position. If not immediately used, select the object/group from the layer list while using the move tool. The item(s) will be high lighted. Move, rotate, etc as you like.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks for the step-by-step guys, I really appreciate it.

Alfred, when you say 'select the item', are you referring to clicking on the grouped items layer in the Layers panel?

And when dragging one of the duplicated images (grouped layers) that are stacked on one another, I assume this is done simply via a click/drag with the mouse, yes? (working on Mac's, btw)

Cheers!

-Christo

Alfred, when you say 'select the item', are you referring to clicking on the grouped items layer in the Layers panel?

That is one way, but you can also click on a group in the workspace. Clicking & dragging in the workspace with either the Option or Command key held down will duplicate & move in one step. The difference is Option disables Snapping (if it is enabled); Command does not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7