You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I didn't find any instructions for using the Colour Chooser.  Playing with it I have found I like it the best for creating and modifying colors so far in AD.  But what I can't find is how to get the colors into the stroke color field.  All changes I do go into the Fill field.  What is the secret?

There are workarounds like setting the color into the fill field then using the stroke eyedropper to set it, but there must be an easier way.

Also in the Colour Chooser there is an eyedropper which works like the typical eyedropper.  Next to it is a circle that mirrors the color selected, like the larger square in the upper left, what is this circle for?  I don't find that it does anything.

Is there an easy way to save the color chosen into a custom swatch?

FYI I'm currently using the Beta 1.0.202013 if that makes any difference.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Check out the attached image (color_panel.png) for an explanation of the Color panel (Wheel) functions.

To create a custom palette:

- go to swatches panel, click on the menu icon on the right and select Add Palette (a new unnamed palette appears in the drop down)

- go to the same menu on the top right and select Rename Palette... to customise the name of your new palette

To add a color to your new palette:

- make sure your palette is selected in the palette drop down in the swatches panel

- select an object on the canvas (or make sure you have a color set in the fill/stroke - numbers 2 and 3 on the color_panel.png image posted below)

- press the palette icon near the name of you palette to add that color to your palette (see palette_icon image below)

post-59-0-60660500-1417280476_thumb.png

post-59-0-41858000-1417282992_thumb.png

MEB,

Sorry, I didn't make myself clearer.  I'm trying out the new Colour Selector in the Beta version.  See the attached.  I think it's great except for the couple questions.

How to get the colors created into the Stroke color field?  All changes I do go into the Fill field.

Next to the eyedropper is a circle that usually loads the color into the field.  In the Colour Selector it doesn't seem to do anything.

Thank you.  Do you never take a day off?  You seem to answer 24/7.

• Staff

Oops, my bad!

It's not new. The MAS version has it too.

You have to use the fill/stroke toggle on the bottom of the toolbar (in separated mode) or in the Color panel as in the image i posted above to change between stroke and fill.

You're right. The color picker on the Color Chooser panel isn't working the same way as the rest of the color pickers on the app. This is a bug, i believe. It should pick the color only and not apply it. That's the function of the small circle.

There should be something in the Colour Chooser that lets us direct where the color will go, like a set of radio buttons.  So we don't have to jump into and out of the Chooser.  Why does the non-Separated mode not have the fill/stroke toggle at the bottom of the toolbar.  It would have to be changed to be thinner, but would be really handy.  I may have to switch to always use separated mode.

I had never found it in the MAS version.  There's no menu selection for it in MAS.  So I was kicking myself when I posted the question that it should have been in the Beta questions.  

Actually I like the way it applies the color in real time, please don't change it.  It's easier to see the results in real size.  I think that's one of the main reasons it's my preferred color selection method.  It's really slick when filling colors into a gradient.

One of the biggest problems I have had is getting used to drawing a shape, then set it's color and size afterward.  I usually set the color I want, which then changes the color of the last object drawn.  My mind wants to get the details set first then do the action.  Which gets me in more trouble.

Thanks again.

• Staff

I believe this panel (Colour Chooser) is intended to be used specifically for choosing colours with absolute precision (thus the bigger sliders, wheel and different inputs). It's not supposed to be used as a regular color selector. You can quickly access it by double-clicking on the colour toggle both in the Color panel and in the Toolbar (in separated mode). There's no need to go to any menu.

This behaviour is similar to what you find in other applications where you can access a bigger wheel/color square to pick colors with more precision when you double-click on their fill/stroke color controls.

As far as i know all color panels in Affinity Designer apply colours/gradients in real-time to the selected object.

It always takes some time to get used to new tools. Everyone is different and has different ways to approach things.

It also depends on how much you're used to specific workflows in other software. While some things may look awkward to you, others may find them natural. Just keep at it. You'll get the hang of it :)