You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

its a lot of hassle...

Any hint to do a follow up in the future more efficient in AD and not by hand?

post-40493-0-11937100-1486292808_thumb.jpg

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

It is not clear (at least to me) what you are asking. Are you trying to duplicate an existing label, maybe from a photo, or ...???

A lot more info would help.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Indeed. Rendering a new one but in Affinity Designer. Look at the strokes the lady is drawn with.

Close to perfection- done manually

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Might have been a lot of work, but it looks good.

I've been doing digital line work of various items, mostly decorative motifs ranging from ancient Chinese bronze, Roman acanthus, art nouveau glazed tiles, etc. etc. for more than a decade.

Frankly, I've never come upon a method that was very easy. Mostly it comes down to using the software as adeptly as possible. My first work w. AD was painfully slow and uneven. But I'm becoming more facile. After working on a carpet palmate motif for several days, this morning I came up w. a technique of roughing every thing in with sharp nodes, and then easily tweaking the lines into curves. Did as much work in 15 min as I was doing in an hour struggling to get smooth nodes properly laid out and balanced.

As is so often the case, practice makes perfect.

It will help when the auto trace feature is implemented. Corel's tracer was pretty good. That often saved about half the time to make a transcription. But if the starting photo or scan was poor, it would still produce hundreds of extra points  that had to be erased.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Ha! Yes, I am very good!!  ;)

.... But seriously, I went to their website. They've got a bunch of PR downloads. PDF's with vector art.  B)

I found a .jpg on the site. Cleaned it up, and resampled it. Ran it thru Image Vectorizer. Got a slightly cleaner bunch of lines than what you posted, about 60 K smaller file. Messed a bit w. deleting useless nodes. Reduced the files size about 10K. With way too much work, I suppose it could be around half the size.

I'd like to find the original art that was digitized. Pretty sure its not Mucha, but by one of many nouveau illustrators.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Yeah, I don't think it's Mucha either and I also cannot find an original. Would be interested to know should you find where it's from.

Looked over a few thousand images via search. Nothing very close. The difference in line widths from outlines to inner lines were fairly common. The was an Austrian named Moser who used similar technique, but his work was more in a relief style. The flowing lines looked more like a French style, and I found 1 example from a fellow named Engelbrecht working in Paris that had lots of flowing lines. 

Came across an article that said the downfall of the style was that it was so popular that there were many practitioners, but few who were distinctive.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Mucha, Dance 1898 (final and a sketch).

Interesting (but not surprising) what they included, excluded, altered, and *cough* enhanced :wub: . 

post-12544-0-96545400-1486413699.png

Good work!

Let me deprecate my post of a few minutes ago. I see the original was rather extensively edited. The characteristic symbol halo gone, fine shading, compressing some of the horizontal extent.

The logo is sufficiently different that I didn't really look closely at any of Mucha's work.

Huion WH1409 tablet