You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

well I think the title says it right, but I want it more in depth, like when you creating it you just click and drag the new rectangle (or square) holding shift to keep it from the centre, my problem is keeping measurement form each side of borders. So accidentally yesterday the numbers changed to how far from the border my lines were and now, can't remember how to get that, by default is show your image dimension, I just don't want that.

any idea how to?

I'm not sure if this is what you want and what you mean with

the numbers changed to how far from the border my lines were 

, but have you tried to use the rulers?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Try these steps:

1. Open the image in Affinity Photo

2. Choose 'Resize Canvas...' from the Document menu

3. Select the central anchor point

4. Increase the dimensions by double the desired border width

• e.g. for a 25px border, set the width and height to +=50

5. Choose 'New Fill Layer' from the Layer menu

6. In the Layers panel, move the fill layer below the image layer

7. Change the fill colour as desired

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Try these steps:

1. Open the image in Affinity Photo

2. Choose 'Resize Canvas...' from the Document menu

3. Select the central anchor point

4. Increase the dimensions by double the desired border width

• e.g. for a 25px border, set the width and height to +=50

5. Choose 'New Fill Layer' from the Layer menu

6. In the Layers panel, move the fill layer below the image layer

7. Change the fill colour as desired

So I tried this on my Mac, followed your steps exactly and all I come up with is a red screen that completely replaces my entire photo.  I swear I followed your steps above exactly.  But what am I missing to be able to put a red border around my photo?

So I tried this on my Mac, followed your steps exactly and all I come up with is a red screen that completely replaces my entire photo.  I swear I followed your steps above exactly.  But what am I missing to be able to put a red border around my photo?

Did you do step 6?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Did you do step 6?

Yes, but I had to figure out a few things to make all this work for me.  First of all, I did a Merge Visible on the background layer which created a new Pixel Layer.  I had to drag this new layer down below the original background layer and then use Albert's steps from there.  This is the only way it worked for me but it did work.

thanks Madame but no I did not want to use the rulers. also thanks to Alfred, that can work, but I guess I went through a bug, I've been trying everything over and over following the same step I went but nowhere to be repeated, all it does is giving me the pixels location with white numbers, what I am looking for is the distance to border which were blue numbers.

See if this alternative method to add a border is any good

1. Select crop tool
2. Drag corner nodes and increase canvas size, does not have to be accurate or symmetrical - just make it bigger than the border you want
3.  Apply crop
4. Ctrl + Click your image layer in layers panel to select it.
5. Select > Outline ( Change Alignment to Outside and adjust radius slider to the size of the border you want - Either visually or by absolute values)
6. Select brush tool and paint in border colour you want
7. Document > Clip Canvas (to get rid of excess canvas around border)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.