You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curves and Blend Options Feature Request / Feedback

Well not sure if this is Feature Request or Feedback but i'll put it here. I went a head and bought Affinity Photo and this is a list of things that annoys me after a couple of days usage, on windows btw.

Curves:
- Can not undo curve edits, except when in picker mode then you undo way to much with a single ctrl-z ..please find a middle ground for both, this is just silly.
- Slightest miss click creates a new curve point, needs to be more forgiving (same thing goees for when in "picker" mode, it's impossible to work with).
- Only the center grid is overlayed on top of  the histogram, makes it hard to do precis edits
- No numbers for added "keys" so I can not make exact edits specially important in LAB mode
- No shortcuts to switch between L/A/B in LAB mode, having to use the drop down slows down workflow
- 1 more subdivision of grid drawing
- Please don't be like photoshop with a fixed size of the Curve interface, I relay want to scale it up.
- When using the "Picker" option you can not just click on the image to set out "safe" areas, you have to click and drag to change the value, which breaks LAB color workflow rather hard.
- When using "Picker" mode there is no preview in the curve editor where my point new points might be added.

Blend Options:
- Histogram display would be nice
- Preview of mask generated by curve would be nice
- Would be nice to have a "picker mode" like thing for this, not sure how it would work but feels like it could be awesome

Gradient Tool:
- Probably user error but why does it always started in white to %50 gray, I want it to be white to black always.

Presets:
- Adding presets is easy and nice, but I can not access them from my tool, like my curve presets..I have to have the "adjustment" window up for this...please give me direct access to preset within the current tool.

Gradient Tool:

- Probably user error but why does it always started in white to %50 gray, I want it to be white to black always.

Some users might want white to 50% grey, others might want white to black, yet others might want something completely different. I think it would be more generally useful if the current foreground and background colours for the Paint Brush Tool were used as the default colours for the gradient end nodes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Very good points. I would add

curves – you have to click very precisely to curve line to add point and then drag to new position. Would be better either have more snap tolerance or better like PS just click in the histogram area and new control point is created to exact click location and curve adjust to that point.

curves – auto black and white points. Why search for them manually, especially when there is no clipping preview (have to bend curve separately to see where the clipped parts are – nuisance).

Curves is the most important tool in any photo editing application. Make it perfect.

Some users might want white to 50% grey, others might want white to black, yet others might want something completely different. I think it would be more generally useful if the current foreground and background colours for the Paint Brush Tool were used as the default colours for the gradient end nodes.

Yeah I might have phrased that bad, but I personally in 90%+ cases want it to be black and white, so I would love to be able to set it for myself so that is how it behaves..right now I have to change it every time since I havent figured out a way to make it default for me to the settings I prefer.

It seriously takes me like 20-30 sec to put out a gradient like I want..that is just ..unacceptable...

Very good points. I would add

curves – you have to click very precisely to curve line to add point and then drag to new position. Would be better either have more snap tolerance or better like PS just click in the histogram area and new control point is created to exact click location and curve adjust to that point.

curves – auto black and white points. Why search for them manually, especially when there is no clipping preview (have to bend curve separately to see where the clipped parts are – nuisance).

Curves is the most important tool in any photo editing application. Make it perfect.

I can only agree =)

Yeah I might have phrased that bad, but I personally in 90%+ cases want it to be black and white, so I would love to be able to set it for myself so that is how it behaves..

No, you phrased it perfectly clearly! I was merely pointing out that not everyone's requirements are the same, and you've just indicated that even you sometimes want it to be something other than black and white. With the behaviour that I suggested, all you would need to do is set the foreground and background fills appropriately before choosing the Gradient Tool: the "Set Fill to Black and White" option in the Miscellaneous section of the keyboard shortcuts for the Photo Persona would be ideal for this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

No, you phrased it perfectly clearly! I was merely pointing out that not everyone's requirements are the same, and you've just indicated that even you sometimes want it to be something other than black and white. With the behaviour that I suggested, all you would need to do is set the foreground and background fills appropriately before choosing the Gradient Tool: the "Set Fill to Black and White" option in the Miscellaneous section of the keyboard shortcuts for the Photo Persona would be ideal for this.

Ah yeah so it becomes like the default gradient in photoshop :) I can live with that...but yeah something atleast so people have control over the behaviour they want because now it is so frustrating.