You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workbook in protected PDF format?

The physical workbook for designer is a great read and a useful resource, but it is not really practical for use when using Designer because of it's bulky nature. A much more practical solution would be a protected PDF file or an online workbook that can be accessed via a password and e-mail exclusive to people who have bought the book. This idea would mean registered owners could log in (on site) or enter a password to access the PDF?

Surely a way can be found to enable one of these features or another similar one? This would be a positive selling point for any new user and a must have for dual monitor users!  You have already stated elsewhere on the Forum that the Designer Workbook was produced in PagePlus, so you must already have a PDF version available, so what is the problem?

• Staff

@Willabong - I guess PDF's can easily be redistributed and your suggested workaround is fair, but logging into a separate site to quickly look something up might prove more cumbersome than opening a book. I know our decision hasn't pleased everyone  :unsure:

@Nebthtet - No as far as I know. Sorry.

@Willabong - I guess PDF's can easily be redistributed and your suggested workaround is fair, but logging into a separate site to quickly look something up might prove more cumbersome than opening a book.

+1 to this.

books as pdf or for readers are highly overrated :)

@Willabong - I guess PDF's can easily be redistributed and your suggested workaround is fair, but logging into a separate site to quickly look something up might prove more cumbersome than opening a book. I know our decision hasn't pleased everyone  :unsure:

First I wanna say I support Serif's decision to protect its work-product.

Quickly looking something up is what the help files are for. Following along in a book while performing the routines/actions in a tutorial is a more thoughtful process and a book--or an on-line resource--tends to remain open for longer periods and so there wouldn't be the jumping on-line if the Book had a protected, on-line area of a web site. Plus it would likely facilitate the movement to a new tutorial by being able to click on a link to download that section's resource file(s). Works best with a dual-monitor setup, though.

Really, a lay-flat version of the book would be a better option. I do like lay-flat books.

It would be handy, but half the fun is keeping it flat with coffee mugs and an arm  :P

Geez, and here I thought I was gonna read you "let" your cat lay on it.

Mine lays on whatever I am trying to read when laid flat on a desk or table. And lays on the keyboard. And ...

+1

I love books, so I bought it.

It looks great, it smells great (I love the smell of new books).

But, it's not handy. Wish I could download (or even buy for a reasonable fee) a PDF.

Still... Serif... great products, great book!

Thanks, serif guys!

Cheers

Marco

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone. i would welcome the e-book formats like pdf,epub,kindle.online etc of the workbook,because the HardBound book in not available for shipment in every country and besides we are using a digital software that is digitally distributed and not in a shrink wrapped box for distribution,than why all the fuss of Hard Bound Books only. I love serif for what they are doing with the Affinity suite,but this i something long long overdue from Serif,especially for the community that supports and backs the Team at Serif.

Lets take a poll in the forums to see how many people are interested in getting a protected ebook format for the Affinity Workbooks?

,which could be accessed from the Serif Store area,where other affinity products are available for those who bought them?.

Best Regards,

Fahad

• 3 weeks later...