You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LaTeX typesetting plugin in Designer

Is there a way to force font mapping when I bring in a PDF from LaTeXiT so I can point to the Bakoma versions? Doing that manually would not be worth it. I could remove the old Computer Modern from the OS and Affinity would have to substitute. Cludgy but I would probably prefer it to outlined fonts.

Thanks, but no I don't have Publisher. I don't do layout work any longer. Illustrator has the same feature so maybe a future version of Designer? I also wouldn't want to have the workflow go through third app to get the images and equations prepared for PowerPoint. I can't stand doing vector drawing with their tools so don't suggest that ;-).

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is unlikely, but I would like a Latex plugin that interprets/renders Latex commands in text boxes, both in-line with other text that being entered and as separate, full-blown equations. Not unlike the way Word allows inline and "professional" layouts in its equation editor. I use Affinity Designer to create figures for scientific papers, and it would help to be able to include equations in some figures.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Update: I now regularly make equations in Word, export as EPS, and place in Affinity Designer. They place as curves, so no more editing. But you then have full control over sizing/style etc. Then I usually copy and paste straight back into Word (e.g. a test paper that needs figures) and skip the whole expert from Affinity step. Remarkably, the font sizes stay consistent!

• 6 months later...

I still cannot get certain LaTeX fonts to appear properly via drag and drop, but did successfully create a set of Computer Modern Fonts that work in Affinity Designer. When something doesn't work right, I use the Glyph Browser to create the font. Slightly inconvenient, but not the end of the world since I can do most of my work in LaTeXit and drag and drop, but then clean up the dropped PDF in Affinity Designer. I wish the drag and drop worked better, but its livable. I have attached the fonts I am using if you are interested: https://github.com/brucerodenborn/shared_items

My legal team wants me to say,  "no express or implied warrants of usability and there no refunds"

Cheers

LaTeX_fonts.zip

• 5 months later...

Deep apologies if thread necromancy violates protocol or sensibilities, but I'd like to add my tiny whisper to the slowly growing chorus. I make diagrams for a science blog. My current goto is to screencap what I need, since I'm doing the LaTeX work on the blog anyway and at least the colour is correct, paste it in and edit it. I've mucked about with some of the solutions upthread, but all significantly impinge on my workflow when I'm at my most brilliant 😁. I tend to do diagrams as I need them, so I need to be quick for the most part before the mojo dribbles out the back of my skull.

A native LaTeX/Jax/whatever or plugin would just be the best thing ever. If I could just copy my typesetting markup code into a box and hit enter, I'd be happy as a pig in shit. I use Photo and Designer.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the necro too, but I am in the same case
I use the whole toolsuite to design my presentations and also scientific documents, although I still need to import mathematical equations from outside affinity and even a Latex integration could go a long way to help scientific publishing adopt publisher...
Layout, document design and customization is a nightmare in the LaTeX world, publisher solves those already but just lacks a way to easily integrate equations to fill the major problems LaTeX has.

People in the thread spoke about a Latex to SVG to Affinity workflow, integrating this would solve the problem.
A local tex install could even be avoided by using an online Overleaf integration conversion similar to the current publisher stock photo search engine

• 1 year later...

Having the ability of typing equations and symbols with LaTex would make Publisher a dream product. Even if the local generated graphics are a high-resolution bitmap (instead of the original vector fonts) this would be really super.

Does Affinity provide any plug-in architecture that possibly could be explored/used by the community to attempt anything like this externally, if this is not a priority for Affinity?

The use of Publisher in the scientific context is not to be underestimated. People use often Word, but the vast majority of users is highly frustrated with figures and text randomly jumping around two minutes before a deadline. I bet there would be a significant customer base in the Word scientific/technical users for Publisher. I used InDesign in the past to write grant proposals.

Andrea

48 minutes ago, Andrea Borsic said:

Does Affinity provide any plug-in architecture that possibly could be explored/used by the community to attempt anything like this externally, if this is not a priority for Affinity?

NO it doesn't!

49 minutes ago, Andrea Borsic said:

The use of Publisher in the scientific context is not to be underestimated. People use often Word, but the vast majority of users is highly frustrated with figures and text randomly jumping around two minutes before a deadline. I bet there would be a significant customer base in the Word scientific/technical users for Publisher. I used InDesign in the past to write grant proposals.

Well it would be good in terms of technical writings, for thesis, science papers and the like to have the ability to include direct editable math and formular editing features into APub, but actually all one can do at best here is, to inserting formulas etc. as vector/bitmap graphics. Everything else, aka workarounds on just a math font based manner etc. are pretty limited in overall capabilities (junk) and nothing of much use for students and scientists here. - Sadly LaTeX and FrameMaker are still best suited for this and that for about ~30 years now.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Also chiming in here for Publisher and Designer.

As a graphic designer for a mathematics department at a university, I often have to take mathematical source material (almost exclusively LaTeX) and make it pretty, whether it's in posters (Designer) or in the yearly newsletter (Publisher). I often need in-line bits embedded into paragraphs ("R sub whatever part of a set ... unity from this to that"), more often than I need full giant blobs of equations.

My dream would be to cut from an already rendered LaTeX PDF document and paste into Publisher and have it just display correctly, in-line with paragraph text. That would be miraculous (and probably programmatically problematic, given the difficulty I've had in finding mathematical LaTeX fonts and installing them on Windows systems).

Anyway, one more vote from me, for whatever support might be tossed up, from embedded PDF equations working right, to in-line text pasted from PDFs, to perhaps some wacky Equation Editor built in where you right-click or whatever and it opens up. As long as things flow with the text the way other content does.