You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Precision Arc?

In AI, I can use a tool and specify three points and it will fit an arc or curve.

In AI using something like Scriptographer I can specify a degree and diameter or radius of a circle and it the script will create the appropriate arc.

What is the equivalent in Affinity Designer?

I know my radius.  I know my angle.  That gives me my two points.  Now have AD draw me that arc....

Affinity Designer 1.5.1.43

Windows 10 Pro, i7, 32gb RAM, MSI GTX 970

Using it for Board game design/enhancements, icon designs for software development, design of items to be cut on laser cutters.

Okay, I found the pie tool, and it will almost work.

1) Select the Pie Tool

2) Hold shift while drawing to constrain it to circle vs ellipse

3) Invert angles

I know I could convert to curves BUT, it does not give me what I want because all I want is the curve.  If there was a way to covert the pie to two lines and a arc so I can delete the two lines then it would give me what I need.  A little convoluted but it works -- almost. 

Better yet, an arc tool that will create the arc I want and then allow me to simply keep the arc would be best.  Seems like you could derive most of the code from the Pie Tool.

Using it for Board game design/enhancements, icon designs for software development, design of items to be cut on laser cutters.

Yeah, an Arc tool would be nice, along with spirals etc.

Option 1) Use the pie tool, convert to curves, delete the center point (has to be broken first). You will be left with just the curve.

Option 2) If you don't mind points on top of points.... use the pie tool and just drag the center point out to the outer edge. This way it remains fully editable in terms of arc angle etc.

W. the pie option, make the hole radius 100%. Convert to curve. Single line arc. Total time 20 - 30 seconds. Couldn't type the values any faster.

There's been mention that there may be a java script scripting tool.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Option 1) Use the pie tool, convert to curves, delete the center point (has to be broken first). You will be left with just the curve.

Option 2) If you don't mind points on top of points.... use the pie tool and just drag the center point out to the outer edge. This way it remains fully editable in terms of arc angle etc.

How do you break it?  Deleting the center point creates a cresent.

W. the pie option, make the hole radius 100%. Convert to curve. Single line arc. Total time 20 - 30 seconds. Couldn't type the values any faster.

There's been mention that there may be a java script scripting tool.

Thanks.  I will see what happens when I convert the file to use it on a laser cutter. 

I want to get rid of Adobe Illustrator -- missing items like that keeps me on Adobe.  Hopefully with future updates we will some of these items.

A lot of things keep me on Adobe.

Things like this.....

How do you break it?  Deleting the center point creates a cresent.

• Select center point.

• Use break curve button - see below.

(You now have an open curve with two points at the center)

• Reselect both center points with a drag select.

• Delete.

post-12544-0-84743000-1486184021_thumb.png

Okay, I found the pie tool, and it will almost work.

1) Select the Pie Tool

2) Hold shift while drawing to constrain it to circle vs ellipse

3) Invert angles

I know I could convert to curves BUT, it does not give me what I want because all I want is the curve.

I am just curious but what is so bad about using the Pie tool for this with a hole radius near but not quite 100% & no stroke? Sure, it is a closed curve instead of just an open path stroke, but does that really matter?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

W. the pie option, make the hole radius 100%. Convert to curve. Single line arc.

This isn't exactly true. It's technically a single line I guess, but it's a closed shape with points on top of points. As I mentioned above.

I don't see how it's even "technically" a single line: it seems to me that it's a closed shape whose enclosed area is zero. In my book a "single line" has two distinct end nodes.

I am just curious but what is so bad about using the Pie tool for this with a hole radius near but not quite 100% & no stroke? Sure, it is a closed curve instead of just an open path stroke, but does that really matter?

I would have thought it might matter quite a lot, since the OP wants to use it to make a file for laser cutting.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1st, TurboCooler, let me apologize for being abrupt. I'd had some dental work done earlier in the day, and the pain killer was wearing off. I was far too irritable to be posting.

And while I know very little about laser cutters, I think the pie with a hole of 100% probably would work. In .svg code, a single arc is duplicated when using the pie/donut, one forward, and then reverse. There is an extremely small shift from one side of the empty shape to the other. The files I made showed about 1/1000000 of an inch +- movement. I suppose the cutter might waste time retracing the arc, and then have to step to the next line segment. Doable I suppose, but clumsy.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 years later...

An Arc tool would save a lot of time when trying to do simple geometry. Hopefully it's on its way.

For now I'm making circles, converting the circle to a curve, adding points then breaking the curve at those points. However I have to make sure I don't move the arc because it's no longer centred.

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 8.03.53 PM.png

You can:

• 7 months later...

To add to the above, the inclusion of this tool in a future AD update would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently trying to draw some geometric Celtic patterns, which would otherwise be drawn by hand with a compass, and at the moment I can see no feasible way to replicate this approach in Designer.