You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert Pen Tool path into Selection in Affinity Photo?

Of course. After you draw your closed region with the Pen Tool, just click "Selection" from the Context Toolbar.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 4 months later...

You can Cmd-click the path in the Layers panel, but I don't think that's any quicker than pressing the 'Selection' button on the Context toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have my suspicions that it's an iPad question.  If you ignore the original posts from February, it sounds like the question is asking whether there's a quick way on iPad to do the same as Alt/Opt clicking on a node or handle to make a sharp angle.  That's my guess anyway.

• 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, Moon12 said:

Sorry, but on Affinity photo i can not see a possibility to convert a path to a selection. Is there a hint?

On 2/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Of course. After you draw your closed region with the Pen Tool, just click "Selection" from the Context Toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 7/13/2019 at 6:56 AM, Moon12 said:

I guess i could not see the selection button because the path was not closed. ¬¬

The button should still be available. The selection would just close automatically with a straight line from the two endpoints.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Just a final thought, not one you asked - but can be a trap.  If you have your path, then use the node tool to make curves etc, then before you finalise your selection, you need to go back to the Pen Tool to find "selection" in the context bar.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

• 4 months later...
On 6/8/2017 at 4:08 PM, toltec said:

That's two clicks, or two presses.

Hard to improve on one click!

It's not clicks that waste time, it's moving one's hand around. There should be a keyboard shortcut for everything. I write this in almost 2020 and we still have no pro alternative to PS.

1 hour ago, Chosen Idea said:

There should be a keyboard shortcut for everything.

There are not enough key combinations available on a standard keyboard to assign a unique shortcut for everything.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @ANGRYMAN,
You have two ways to do this: you can either draw all the paths, select them all, go to menu Layer > Geometry > Add to turn them into a single curves object then convert it to a selection clicking on the respective button in the context toolbar in the Pen Tool, or, when creating the paths, enable/click Add New Curve To Selected Curves Objects in the context toolbar for the Pen Tool (the icon looks like two rings), to add the paths automatically to a single curves object while you draw them, then click the Selection button to convert it to a selection.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/9/2021 at 12:23 AM, MEB said:

Hi @ANGRYMAN,
You have two ways to do this: you can either draw all the paths, select them all, go to menu Layer > Geometry > Add to turn them into a single curves object then convert it to a selection clicking on the respective button in the context toolbar in the Pen Tool, or, when creating the paths, enable/click Add New Curve To Selected Curves Objects in the context toolbar for the Pen Tool (the icon looks like two rings), to add the paths automatically to a single curves object while you draw them, then click the Selection button to convert it to a selection.

This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. One problem though ... I'm using AP V2 and I have no idea what you mean by the "context toolbar for the Pen Tool". Where would I find that? This is where a screenshot is worth a thousand words.

22 minutes ago, marble51 said:

I'm using AP V2 and I have no idea what you mean by the "context toolbar for the Pen Tool". Where would I find that? This is where a screenshot is worth a thousand words.

That's the reason the app does have a help system and there is also an Affinity online help system ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, marble51 said:

A screenshot would still have been more direct help but then it is easier for people to just post RTFM replies, I guess.

Well the RTFM contains much more valuable informations about every tool (in your case the Pen tool and it's Context toolbar modes), further you've said ...

I'm using AP V2 and I have no idea what you mean by the "context toolbar for the Pen Tool".

... and I've pointed you to "Context Toolbar" which gives a short explanation of what the Context toolbar is and beside that also shows a screenshot of the Pen's context toolbar!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2