You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi to everyone,

I just have a quick question/tip.

Can we expect option to import of PDF/EPS (general vector files), as raster "Photoshop Import PDF" style?

I do a lot of sign making, digital printing, car wrapping,

and I receive files that just need to be rasterised before going into production (CREO, VersaWorks, Raster Link Pro)

(font, shadows, transparencies, messy CMYK/RGB files, gradients... and so on).

So this option would be awesome step of replacing my CS3 :)

Thanks.

p.s. eps export that works with older programs (Illustrator 10 compatibility) would be good for industry users.

btw in my whole life I didn't see cleaner eps file... like hand written :)

If you place the PDF instead of opening it it will render as it is and no fonts are needed. This means of course you have to have base document set to right size before placing (ok, you can set it after place but setting the size is not any easier there either). You can then rasterize the PDF layer and/or export to pixel format.

If you place the PDF instead of opening it it will render as it is and no fonts are needed. This means of course you have to have base document set to right size before placing (ok, you can set it after place but setting the size is not any easier there either). You can then rasterize the PDF layer and/or export to pixel format.

Really? Not here.

PDF:

post-255-0-47982200-1486176859_thumb.png

Disabled the active fonts used for making the PDF. Placed in AD:

post-255-0-42298500-1486176886_thumb.png

OK, I though this worked. Have to add feature request for "pass-through option".

I guess there are apps available for win that can save to bitmap. In OSX this would be trivial using Preview.

Serif just had brought that capability to place PDFs (what I consider a real Placing) with pass-through in PagePlus X9, so the company's last hurrah with the Plus line. And it wasn't/isn't without its warts, but in general it works. 

So it took them a while to include it in their then flagship product.

Serif just had brought that capability to place PDFs (what I consider a real Placing) with pass-through in PagePlus X9, so the company's last hurrah with the Plus line. And it wasn't/isn't without its warts, but in general it works. 

So it took them a while to include it in their then flagship product.

Now that they've worked out how to do it, one would hope that it won't take them quite so long to include the same capability in the Affinity products.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think system level PDF toolkit should make it easy to place and display PDF. Opening it as editable is much heavier coding. (Though PDF toolkit is not without bugs in OSX just now..)

Edit: Toolkits and code libraries do not have this feature available; no help here..

• 2 years later...
On 6/26/2019 at 10:41 AM, FilipK said:

Anything new about this issue? When I try to import pdf to AD 1.7 on windows it destroy the layout of text.

No. Unlike other vector artwork packages, Designer doesn't open PDFs accurately for editing, outlining fonts if necessary; and Publisher doesn't accurately import placed PDFs, like other layout apps. Instead, both apps give you entirely editable text that's roughly in the right position but not necessarily with the correct glyph. Or font.

You'll have to either outline the fonts (Acrobat DC has a Preflight profile to do this) before importing, or convert to another format. EPS or SVG will retain the vector data (though there's no guarantee of complete fidelity). You could convert the PDF into a bitmap image to preserve the content for placing, but you'd lose the ability to edit elements. (NB: Affinity Photo won't rasterize a PDF to bitmap correctly, either.)

• 2 weeks later...

But still I would like to have an option to open pdf rasterized/vector/original... I have to work with pdf files and often I don´t need editability, but accuracy. I think it´s against the phylosophy of affinity, that I have to use another program to take pdf, export pdf and then use affinity to edit.

5 minutes ago, FilipK said:

often I don´t need editability, but accuracy

Both editability and accuracy require the apps to be capable of interpreting embedded fonts, which they can’t do yet.

Alfred spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Both editability and accuracy require the apps to be capable of interpreting embedded fonts, which they can’t do yet.

Editability seems to be what Affinity has gone for from day 1. PDFs in Publisher are treated as some kind of interchange format, in which the text can be fully editable, even if it's in the wrong font/glyph/position. Hence the "Favour editable text over fidelity" option. (Sadly, unchecking the box doesn't guarantee fidelity.) But this behaviour is identical in Designer, and even Photo.

While there are circumstances when this might be useful, it's a curious architectural decision to prioritize over the more 'normal' needs of accurately rasterizing; accurately placing; and accurately rendering for vector editing.

1 hour ago, benwiggy said:

PDFs in Publisher are treated as some kind of interchange format, in which the text can be fully editable, even if it's in the wrong font/glyph/position.

Quite so. I misspoke in my earlier post when I said that editability requires interpretation of embedded fonts: it clearly doesn’t require that if all you want to edit is the text content, but if you can interpret the fonts you can both edit accurately and have a ‘passthrough’ feature.

Alfred spacer.png